Elevator Forum

Otis Brake Coil 195...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Otis Brake Coil 1955

13 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
12.1 K Views
(@Monte Ball)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#9464]
We were changing the brake coil and we need to know how to remove the copper brake core sleeve that runs through the middle of the brake coil. The right method? We're pretty sure we can get it out, but we are trying not to damage it. It has to stay close to perfect for the cores to slide in and out.

Have photo but don't know how to upload it (tried for a minute or two). Number on brake: 628-TM2 (the 8 is hard to see, it might be a three or a 0)



   
Quote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Are you trying to reuse the sleeve or you going to use a new one?

We always used a new one



   
ReplyQuote
(@Monte Ball)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
to sbrmilitia

Thanks for the reply. We were trying to re use it, but we don't have to --- assuming then the new coil will come with an option for a new sleeve? But it seems like such a waste. Any advice or best methods to get the old one out?



   
ReplyQuote
(@traction)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
It's not that hard, I'd do it for you if you paid me, but I'm not going to tell you how to do it.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Monte Ball)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Wow.

This isn't what this forum is for. The forum is for sharing better methods and procedures to make somebody else's life easier. The more we share, the smarter we are.

We will get it out, we just didn't want to damage it.



   
ReplyQuote
(@koneisland)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If it's been glued then you could have trouble getting it out undamaged. Although I'm sure you can still get new sleeves.
If it is not available why don't you just get a new sleeve fabricated for your new coil



   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I've seen them dimpled or peened so they wouldn't come out on their own.



   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Oh, I agree about this forum being for helping another elevator Brother.



   
ReplyQuote
(@traction)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I agree about help, but it's gets a little old when people just create an account only to ask a question about something that should be straight forward, than proceed to never post again.

I would think that if you were a brother, as in unionized brother you'd only be a quick phone call away from the solution to a simple task. If not you should still be able to find help via the phone.

Anyway, if I offend you I am sorry, I just get ornary sometimes.

Last edited by traction; 01/10/14 10:24 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Go to Unitecparts.com
You can download their online catalog section for machines. You may find what you need in there.

Cloud be a 136R10 or a 136r16 tube...



   
ReplyQuote
(@DripCan)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
if the machine looks like any of the ones at elevator bobs site page three that sleeve is not made anymore or available from Otis parts but you can use a 2x4 an push it out the sleeve is cut down the center so u have to tape it as it comes out or springing action stops it



   
ReplyQuote
(@DripCan)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
u also need to lift coil a little to releave pressure coil weight 175 to 225 guessing not a easy one to remove



   
ReplyQuote
(@koneisland)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Sometimes makes you wonder how we ever managed to land a man on the moon.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top