My question is this! What have you done with these old door operators?
Rebuild, replace or modifaction?
I've rebuilt several 20+ years ago!
I've maintained units that were replaced with operators such as GAL!
And as of recent we maintain a unit that has been modified with a MCE Smart Traq.
Please share your opinions, experiences and thoughts on this...
I'll look up the R&R board. Thanks
John Jay,
Personally, I like the MOVFR units. I'm just not sure I'm ready to send these units to the scrap yard. Although I agree with you that the oil temp in the gear box affects the reliability of these operators. I wasn't aware of the mobile one oil. Thanks for you input.
Rolly,
I also think these are good units. They were built to last. Unfortunately today's advancement have made the use of the checks inadequate & obsolete. Although you and John Jay have indicated mobile one oil will improve stability, there are more options. Wouldn't it be a better made unit if the checks were iliminated and it was designed with a VVVF motor and control?
Thank you for reminding me that there were several versions of the 6970 operator. It just so happens there are 4 with the saturable reactors. The last unit is the resistance version.
Thank you for your responses...
I'm leaning toward recommending modifing the existing operators. These units run constantly from early in the morning to early in the evening. And with all the variables that effect the quality of the doors to open & close, I'm just not convinced that there is a happy medium with check valves in the equation. I've been servicing a operator that was modified with a MCE smart traq for 8 years now. The only things we have had to do is check the motor brushes and the oil level.
I'll let you know where this ends up...
Sorry, when I said "it just so happens there are 4 saturable reactor. The last unit is the resistance version" I was referring to my first post. In my first post I said there were 5 of the 6970 door operators.
I remember reading one of the tech spec that they were the considered the premier operator from the 50s to the 80s. I use to have an eight bank on a 30+ story in the early 90s. I always thought is was a shame when we ripped them out.
Thanks for the tip on the transistors.
You also mentioned changing to new PDO's. I have found that you can have a lot of trouble finding the right PDO as these old doors are very heavy and the new VVVF's find it hard to pull them up quick enough. More door adjustments tend to have to be made to get them right, even changing car doors. Rolly also talked about transistor shorting making doors fly open/close dangerously. I have had this with Montgomery PDO's where the Darlington resistors shorted and no matter what adjustments were made it didn't make any difference.