Elevator Forum

Looking for Recomme...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Looking for Recommendations

11 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
5,217 Views
(@Montana)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#40415]
I've been installing the Smartrise hydro controller for the last few years. It's cheap, it's quick. I'm looking for recommendations for another control system. I've been modding bare bone nothing fancy 2 - 4 stop hydros mainly old Dovers and Montgomerys.



   
Quote
 JDJ
(@JDJ)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Have you seen the Alpha controller yet?



   
ReplyQuote
 JJR
(@JJR)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If you want to go generic, go with MCE, it's the most stable quality. The next best is VCI Vision. Stay clear of PLC, except JRT. PLCs aren't really designed specifically for elevators, they are more like general purpose relay controls emmulated by a solid state controller. While I actually would recommend them in hazardous locations like mine shafts and jails; however I would not recommend them for a group of elevators, the quality of the dispatching is like that of an old Westinghouse or Express lift, where they tend to go chasing after each other. You might could get away with just a single cab. They also require a lot of wiring, which is trial and error.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Bowtiedrooster16)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The company I work for has been doing similar installs, 2-7 stop hydros, with the eci pixel. They've been using them for 3-4 years now and they seem to be pretty decent. Theyve even started using the pixel for traction mods. The company likes it cuz you can order the hydro mods as a package with the controller already mounted to the tank and wired to the pump and valve. Tech support takes a bit to get back to you but has been ok at solving the problem. The controllers them self are laid out pretty decent fairly simple to wire. I really like the security board for car/hall lockouts mounted right in the controller so no extra travelers. Ive done limited mods, maybe a dozen (3of them pixel), and the eci seems like a solid new era controller.



   
ReplyQuote
(@EElevator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I second mce and virginia as your most reliable. Its very hard to beat those two. Smartrise is a dumpster fire....



   
ReplyQuote
 KSNY
(@KSNY)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted by Montana
I've been installing the Smartrise hydro controller for the last few years. It's cheap, it's quick. I'm looking for recommendations for another control system. I've been modding bare bone nothing fancy 2 - 4 stop hydros mainly old Dovers and Montgomerys.

ESI (Elevator systems Inc)
Alpha
MCE
VCI



   
ReplyQuote
(@liftronic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0

   
ReplyQuote
 JJR
(@JJR)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If you wish to take more precautions, I would also recommend staying away from harmonic door operators. Read my post in this article, explaining the associated risks. https://the original host/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=40360#Post40360



   
ReplyQuote
(@Nightshift)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
ESI is a simple, one page print traction or hydro. Low rise, basic elevators it’s very easy. One motherboard, that’s also affordable.



   
ReplyQuote
(@tayto)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted by Bowtiedrooster16
The company likes it cuz you can order the hydro mods as a package with the controller already mounted to the tank and wired to the pump and valve.

what is the advantage here? the few minutes saved of not having terminating wire? how often does the controller have to be removed to get it in the building/machine room? i always liked the controller being bolted to the front of the tank. some OEMs do ot better than others....

Last edited by tayto; 12/13/25 03:34 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@elevatorman1966)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I would recommend Alpha for sure the best of what is out there today.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top