The major tenant who used to occupy 95% of my building when out of business. I am only left with 1 small company on the ground floor therefore the elevator is basically never used now except for possible a realtor showing the space once in a while.
How often would an elevator need to be serviced in this situation? For example, once every 6 months?
Thanks.
Some states have a code for how often you are required to service your equipment. Your insurance provider may as well. With that said, asking how often it needs to be service depends on your equipment and the frequency of use.
If you are looking to save money, this may not be where to look. The elevator in your building is still part of the investment you made in the building. If someone is hurt using the elevator, the lawyers will chew you up for not maintaining your equipment.
I recommend reducing your expenses in another fashion.
Some states have a code for how often you are required to service your equipment. Your insurance provider may as well. With that said, asking how often it needs to be service depends on your equipment and the frequency of use.
If you are looking to save money, this may not be where to look. The elevator in your building is still part of the investment you made in the building. If someone is hurt using the elevator, the lawyers will chew you up for not maintaining your equipment.
I recommend reducing your expenses in another fashion.
I have an elevator in my house which is only serviced once a year. The last time, the tech said that it looked like it was brand new and was museum quality.
I almost never use it except for laundry or if I am moving something large and heavy. I maybe use it 30-50 times max a year.
My building is only 3 floors not a skyscraper and the elevator is hydroponic so I think the worse case is that it will slowly lower to the bottom floor.
Good point on checking the local regulations, I will have to look those up and find out the minimum I'm required to do.
I would normally not do that but the building is almost empty.
Thanks.
You keep mentioning that your building isn't full. Im sure your insurance company didn't lower their rates because of that. And I'm sure if you get sued a Lawer won't be sympathetic to you.
Your "almost empty" building falls under your general liability and depending on how you have your business set up you may be liable as well. I've worked in the elevator industry for 30+ years. I don't know you, and have no way of benefiting from the advice I'm giving you. So I'm asking you, is the little money you are trying to save worth the risk?
Minimum service for a 3 stop hydro would be quarterly in my opinion.your "museum" quality home lift also doesn't really compare. Imagine a cherry 64 GTO that hasn't been started but twice in the last 6 months. Would it even start? Water coming out the pipes when it does?
The major tenant who used to occupy 95% of my building when out of business. I am only left with 1 small company on the ground floor therefore the elevator is basically never used now except for possible a realtor showing the space once in a while.
Have your lift mothballed and let them use the stairs.
Minimum service for a 3 stop hydro would be quarterly in my opinion.your "museum" quality home lift also doesn't really compare. Imagine a cherry 64 GTO that hasn't been started but twice in the last 6 months. Would it even start? Water coming out the pipes when it does?
Can hydraulic elevators be program to rest on the bottom floor then if this lint accumulation is a problem?
What do you mean by quarterly service plan? Having the elevators serviced once per quarter ( 4 times a year)?
I have to research it but I think they are being serviced once per month on building which is now almost completely empty except a single tenant on the bottom floor with no use for the elevator.
If I can reduce it from 12 times a year to 4 times a year serviced by professionals, I would gladly take that savings until the building can be leased up again. The tenant who left is going to cost me almost a million dollars in lost rent that was under his obligation. I think he just transferred his business to a friend/business partner and they are operating under another companies name.
Anyway, realistically how often do you need to service an elevator which is not in use or used less than 50 times a year? In my house, it uses the steel cable not hydraulics, its once a year. I don't know about the commercial building which uses hydraulics and its 3 floors.
Did you check and see what your state requires?
This is my observation, You are a real estate business owner. You rent space for profit. It doesn't matter if your space is empty or full.
YOU ARE LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE TO MAINTAIN YOUR ELEVATOR EQUIPMENT....
Once you find out from you state, Inspector or whoever is the authority in you area, you should look for another elevator service contract.
I just went back and read your posts. We have given you solid advice and guidance.
It's been several week since you said you were going to contact the authority's and find out how often you are required to service your commercial elevator.
Are you wasting my time? You must be with a comment such as "I think the worse case is that it will slowly lower to the bottom floor"!
Such a comment says to me you are only concerned about money. If you don't wish to be accountable for your actions, I can't help you...