Notifications
Clear all
Topic starter
14/03/2012 4:52 am
The state sent the yearly requirement for Gen 2 elevators we currently have on service:
" The operation of the coated steel belt monitor shall be tested to verify proper functionality of the device. California Labor Code 7318: [Ref. Circular Letter E-10-04]"
How is Otis testing these belt monitoring devices to satisfy the State requirements?
Here's the link to the circular.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/E-10-04.pdf
Is there a testing procedure that simulates a failure on the monitoring device which causes the elevator to shut down?
Last edited by Administrator; 03/13/12 09:02 PM.
16/03/2012 10:25 pm
I've never seen one, but It's measuring the electrical continuity of the belts, right? Sort of like a big ohmmeter? So couldn't you lift one of it's monitoring "leads" off somewhere, to simulate a broken belt?
Topic starter
17/03/2012 10:36 am
I'm not sure if the monitoring device measures the continuity of the belts or just measures the tension of each belt. I know Otis has a tool that measures the continuity of each belt. Maybe an Otis mechanic can chime in on how the Gen 2 belt monitoring works and how they do the yearly belt inspection.
17/03/2012 11:34 am
"Pulse" unit attaches to each lay and monitors continuity. Disconnect the unit to simulate a broken lay.
18/03/2012 8:46 am
the pulse unit measures the resistance of each lay in the belt. after a learn procedure for the belt length the unit monitors for excessive wear by resistance changes, opens, or short to ground id the vinyl coating is damaged. dont touch the termination blocks if its working or your asking for trouble. one flash on each used termination means everything is ok. unplugging the unit will test it, but im pretty sure there is a test button on the board. these things are very sensitive but once they are in and working you shouldnt have a problem.
Topic starter
18/03/2012 10:31 am
Thanks for the help on this issue. I need to go and check out this job next week. At least I know why I need to look at now.