Again, sorry its not a tech question but I'm hoping someone can help me out .
Thanks in advance for your input.
Sorry that you have to leave a warm island to come to Canada. I hope this post provides some clarifications. Elevator regulations in Canada are handled by province, so things will vary depending on where you want to go. In the province of Ontario (the most regulated) the Authority Having Jurisdiction is called TSSA (Technical Standards and Safety Authority), they license elevating devices, elevator contractors and elevator mechanics. The ASME A17.1 and the CSA B44 are the same code for the past few years, but there is a catch. Whenever a new code is published and TSSA decides to use it they will publish a CAD (Code Adoption Document) outlining all the changes and omissions they have made to the code for the province of Ontario. They will also publish Director's Orders at times stating specific requirements applicable to the elevators in Ontario. So if you have good knowledge of the A17.1 you should be ok to request an exam challenge from TSSA, but be warned, knowing that you are from out of the country they will probably focus more on the specifics of Ontario, so I would make sure to know the contents of the CAD and the most recent director's orders. Maybe have a look at tssa.org to learn a bit more.
I hope this is helpful.
S
I did some further research and it would appear anyway that even if I took the exam and passed I would still only gain around 315 points under the comprehensive points ranking system when the bench mark to an invite is around 450 under the express entry system. Interestingly a certificate of qualification as an elevator mechanic gets you a maximum of 50 points . A degree of any kind ( drama , sociology or even film studies for example ) would get you 100 points. ... A job offer will get you an extra 600 points but having spoken to HR in Canada they have a policy of only offering you employment if you have a visa ...i can only get a visa if I have an offer of employment. Classic catch 22. It's a shame as I have many Canadian friends and love the Toronto area , I really would of liked to raise my kids there at least for a whiles.
As for leaving the Caribbean although I have enjoyed my time here and my kids were born here , after 9 years we are ready for a new experience ...and some cold weather!if anyone reading this feels like they would like to replace me please PM me as I am assisting with my exit strategy including trying to find a suitable replacement .
Thanks for the advice again.
S