Despite the many pleas I made to insist the new service company come see our antiquated lifts (otis "smurf") before entering the agreement, no one cared to.
Long story short, the new tech came in, saw some "rouging" on one of the lifts and locked it out telling us we need new rope, and until it does, it won't be in service.
I don't necessarily disagree with our new tech, but something isn't sitting right with me. I've been through many change overs with elevator service co.'s in my life, and they always seem to push "modernizing" shortly after taking the contract.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to determine if he's acting in the best interest of me, or his company?
Thanks.
Ask him to justify his findings with proper facts and figures or call in your insurance inspector for a second opinion.
Elevator company acting in your best interest . Really ????????
It's funny you should bring this up, because recently I was in the exact same situation: New customer, worn out elevators. The ropes on one car showed substantial degradation. It was locked and tagged out before I called the owner of my company and sat down with the building manager. Everybody understood that the primary concern, above anything else, is the safety of the public. Since it's a new contract, I don't know if this will be paid for by my company or the customer. But it doesn't matter--some standards will not be compromised.
My advice is to ask your serviceman to explain a little better, or maybe ask the service manager. Don't be pushy about it. You don't want to come across as someone who would compromise public safety for expediency.