Elevator Forum

Outlook for Charles...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Outlook for Charleston/Myrtle Beach

74 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
129.2 K Views
(@jeff24)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#19978]
Complete shot in the dark here, but wondering if any of you gentleman work in the Charleston, SC or Myrtle Beach, SC areas?

Prospective apprentices got our rankings today. When I reached out to the Local, they said companies don't really let them know anything until they actually need someone, so it's tough to say how quickly a list may move.

I'm not THAT far down the lists (14th-16th), but a rep at the local said it may not be until the first part of 2018 that I could get a call. Sound about right?



   
Quote
 Lee
(@Lee)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Got my rank as well with local 135. That's a great rank you got. Im 46th. I would like to know more on how fast these these lists move. A year from now doesn't sound good to me.



   
ReplyQuote
(@skaterguy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Im in the same boat im 17th on the list at local 135. i would love to give my company 2weeks notice or notice of some kind im running 3 jobs right now and could quit any day.



   
ReplyQuote
(@hog451)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
With these rankings keep in mind that they are for specific region of the local, ie: Charlotte has a list, Charleston, SC has a list, Myrtle Beach has a list. A 14 in MB could be equivalent to a 60 in Charlotte and a 25 in Charleston. It really depends on how much work is out there.

Jeff24 good to see that you went for it.

Last edited by hog451; 03/25/17 12:48 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@jeff24)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thanks,Hog.

And guys, you may actually be in much better shape than I am.

If those are your Charlotte ranks. My rank there was 82! Devastating. I think my background (white collar work) did me no favors.

Pretty sure Charleston or MB, are my only hopes, since so few selected that area. You two probably have a quicker route to work



   
ReplyQuote
(@skaterguy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
How you find out your exact ranking? Jeff24



   
ReplyQuote
(@jeff24)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Reached out to NEIEP. The local may have the info as well.

When I spoke to the local, they seemed receptive to monthly check ins, to see if numbers have changed, but said they definitely don't enjoy being peppered with a ton of calls all of the time.



   
ReplyQuote
(@hog451)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The NEIEP coordinator will only have the initial rankings.

If you want to know if the list has moved (new 50%ers hired) call the local office. Do not call more than once a month.

Charlotte is super super busy, that list will move.



   
ReplyQuote
 Lee
(@Lee)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Good to know. I only signed up for Charlotte and ranked 46. Hopefully we will get a call within the year. Thanks for the info. Good luck everyone



   
ReplyQuote
(@jeff24)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Lee, Skater,

Either of you guys reached out to the Local, or heard anything?
Really curious to know how these lists are gonna move.

I'm worried a 14 or 16 in Charleston or Myrtle Beach is going to mean nothing, as they will never hire that many.

(Recently got a 33 in Jacksonville, which covers Tallahassee (sp?), St. Augustine and more, and the rep there said they will not even get close to hiring that many over two years)

Last edited by jeff24; 04/04/17 02:51 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@skaterguy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
i reached out to them about a week ago . in the email it said i was in 17th place.

when i called him he said i was on the list in line like this:
3rd for Charleston
2nd for greenvill
2nd for Colombia
4th for myrtle beach.

but i think they will hire everyone on the list. the list in Savannah for example had to do another job drive within a year because they hired everyone from the list.



   
ReplyQuote
(@skaterguy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
also summer is comming that means alot of schools need remodels and they going to hire people



   
ReplyQuote
(@jeff24)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Originally Posted By: skaterguy
but i think they will hire everyone on the list. the list in Savannah for example had to do another job drive within a year because they hired everyone from the list.

I certainly hope that's the case. I'd feel pretty good if I could get in touch with the Local and get a comment like that.



   
ReplyQuote
(@jeff24)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Skater, not sure if you monitor this board still, but I meant to ask you last time I was on, if it'd be possible to give a little update once your number is called -- seeing as how you'll be first off the board among this group.

It'd be nice to get a sense (any sense at all!) of how the respective lists may move. I reached out to the union one time since my initial call, and only got through to a voicemail. Until I know some folks have come off the lists, I'm going to be paranoid that we'll never get down far enough for me to land a spot!



   
ReplyQuote
(@skaterguy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
i do , and i will give everyone a heads up , what time did you call. remember its a typical office so 9am-11am , 1pm-4pm is probley best time to call



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5
Share:
Scroll to Top