Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Local 8 - SF

544 Posts
41 Users
0 Reactions
1.2 M Views
 Esco
(@esco)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 31
 
So typical call occurs on a Thursday to report on friday?



   
ReplyQuote
(@tincanjapan71)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 48
 
From what ive noticed. And since their work week starts friday its makes sense to call people ofg the list thursdays and start them friday next day



   
ReplyQuote
(@pdxelev)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 14
 
Just an opinion...
Have a medium to small sized pair of channel locks, preferably knipex, pencil/pen, small pad of paper, and under no circumstances do what that hog character said and show up with a stick rule. You will Likely be ridiculed on the west coast. 16' standard tape or 25' if that's what you have. No bob the builder crap and no monster 35' Milwaukee thing. Get some comfortable and light boots especially if you're in construction. A lot of guys don't wear what ironworkers and carpenters wear for boots because we stand/walk on concrete or car tops all day. Keen steel toes are highly recommended around these parts. Break in whatever you get before you're hired! I've seen a couple probies have to quit due to horrible blisters on their feet.



   
ReplyQuote
 Eros
(@eros)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 165
 
Thanks for the advice



   
ReplyQuote
(@the-one-true-moo)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 10
 
I prefer redwing work boots, after 9 (this is my 10th year) in construction I have learned to put good money out for boots. Your body will thank you..... Hell I wear them more than my normal shoes

Also I will mention one thing I learned from an Otis foreman (and an old copy of their union master agreement) get certified for nr232 in all positions, if you are certified to weld and perform welding of any sort you get mechanics pay aaka 63 an hour not including the bargained raise they got last July.

I've been inspecting the structural half of the elevator guide rails that the iron workers put in for years and have talked to many elevator foremen.



   
ReplyQuote
 Eros
(@eros)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 165
 
I am stick weld Certified.. I will look into 2/32s thank you



   
ReplyQuote
(@westcoast)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 61
 
What exactly do you mean by the work week starts Friday? Like you work Friday through Tuesday? Or is that just when the pay period begins?



   
ReplyQuote
(@tincanjapan71)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 48
 
They get paid every Thursday so the new work week starts friday. So just the pay period.



   
ReplyQuote
(@the-one-true-moo)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 10
 
Nr232 is a wire classification. It's generally .072 flux core out of a ln25. If you can pass 4g and 3g stick then 232 should be cake... The only thing is the deposition rate is insane.



   
ReplyQuote
 Eros
(@eros)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 165
 
Got it thanks yeah I am 3&4g certified



   
ReplyQuote
(@stacks415)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 32
 
Just called I moved up one space to 21



   
ReplyQuote
 Eros
(@eros)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 165
 
Nice



   
ReplyQuote
(@rique925)
Reputable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 324
 
what questions do they ask you in the interview?



   
ReplyQuote
(@ext1nct)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 41
Topic starter  
Originally Posted by Rique925
what questions do they ask you in the interview?

99.9% of us went in not knowing what questions to expect, so in all fairness you should too. Just prepare yourself for general interview questions and some regarding your experience.

You have about 15-20 minutes to sell yourself, bring copies of all supporting documents for any licenses or certificates you may have. Be 100% you, don't try to answer in other ways that are not you, because interviewers can see through that. Wear slacks/khakis and a nice button up, don't need a suit.

Last edited by Ext1nct; 01/14/18 05:57 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
 Esco
(@esco)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 31
 
I called Thursday and hadnt moved at all, still 89. They called 1 person in the last 3 months jas the well ran dry, or is winter months normal for no new hires



   
ReplyQuote
Page 22 / 37
Share:
Scroll to Top