Elevator Forum

Local 19 Seattle
 
Notifications
Clear all

Local 19 Seattle

251 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
372.2 K Views
(@425Marine)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Why is the list moving so slow?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted by 425Marine
Why is the list moving so slow?

Not enough mechanics..going to be like this til fall..



   
ReplyQuote
(@dmart144)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I applied for Spokane 2 years ago.. they said up to 20 openings and 3 months after the process they had three apprentices laid off. I quit checking on the list after getting hired through the UA, but last I checked it never even moved. I work on job sites around eastern Washington with elevator guys and some of them have told me it has taken them 4 to 5 years to finish the apprenticeship because things slow down often and they work for a while then get laid off for a while. Maybe somebody has more insight then me for Spokane? Just letting you know what my experience has been



   
ReplyQuote
(@Soggywater)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Dmart144 isn’t the apprenticeship supposed to be five years anyway?

Last edited by Soggywater; 07/27/19 12:02 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@Silly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Apprenticeship will take 4-5 years, flat out no way around that. First 6 months you don't take class, so do the math.

Seattle is booming, we have more TMs working now than I have seen in 15 years, but we have peaked with qualified mechanic material. They still are taking transients last I heard, but there aren't a whole lot of people willing to move. Until this next group tests out, and the second years become TM eligible, the list will slow.

On a good note, the last bunch of probies we took at TKE seem to have been pretty good. I even kept my first day hire, and that's fairly unusual for me.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted by Silly
Apprenticeship will take 4-5 years, flat out no way around that. First 6 months you don't take class, so do the math.

Seattle is booming, we have more TMs working now than I have seen in 15 years, but we have peaked with qualified mechanic material. They still are taking transients last I heard, but there aren't a whole lot of people willing to move. Until this next group tests out, and the second years become TM eligible, the list will slow.

On a good note, the last bunch of probies we took at TKE seem to have been pretty good. I even kept my first day hire, and that's fairly unusual for me.

So me being in the #40's should I be looking at next year to get hired?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Lepchaun415)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The only way to speed up the apprenticeship is to challenge the courses. It’s really hard and even to do that you need to have certain qualifications.

Maybe you misunderstood the guy. You have 18 months to work 12 months of 100 hours or more. If you don’t get those hours in the first 18 months you start over.

5 year apprenticeship hombres.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
List is on #43 now



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Didn't expect the list to start moving again so soon, list is on #52



   
ReplyQuote
(@Pdxelev)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yeah, apprenticeship is around 5 years and that’s assuming you pass all of your classes and work over 8,000 hours. You’re not eligible to start your 4 years of classroom training until you finish the 6 month online program first. And once you’re done with school you have to wait for your invite to take the mechanics exam which takes another 2-3 months if you have all your ojt hours in order.



   
ReplyQuote
(@nvno1)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You were in the 40's right? Did you get the call?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Started in the 80's, now I'm in the late #30's



   
ReplyQuote
(@Trfytoy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Called today, still at #52



   
ReplyQuote
(@Rique925)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Thanks for the update man



   
ReplyQuote
(@Str8outtasj)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
What’s pay scale over there?



   
ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 17
Share:
Scroll to Top