Elevator Forum

local 19 eastern re...
 
Notifications
Clear all

local 19 eastern region

28 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
37.6 K Views
(@captidgas)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
i did not get your pm @dmart144

as im understanding its the same 10 questions at every interview and 1 union rep and 1 company rep
i would have liked to rank higher but my old certifications from my last job are out of date and my current job does in house certifications on every thing and i could not get copys good luck and keep at it i think the job will be worth it



   
ReplyQuote
(@thatsalottadimp)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Thought my interview went pretty well. I'm thinking there were a couple I could've done better but I thought for sure is be ranked. I'll pm you and want to ask about one specific question brought up in the interview.



   
ReplyQuote
(@thatsalottadimp)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
captidgas you had 10 questions? I was only asked 7.

Last edited by thatsalottadimp; 11/27/17 05:19 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@thatsalottadimp)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Part of me is just hoping it was a mistake that they only asked 7 questions instead of 10 and that's where my 30% went. But I doubt it.



   
ReplyQuote
(@captidgas)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
it totally could have been 7 questions and i had a typo sorry to freak you out



   
ReplyQuote
(@thatsalottadimp)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
No worries. Just bummed because Spokane was my top choice. Should've interviewed somewhere else first to be better prepared.



   
ReplyQuote
(@dmart144)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Yes, 7 questions for me as well. You have to take into account the 5 points for military, 5 points for a college degree and so on and so forth. Again, this is only my first time going through this but I saw on the score sheet that they offered those points. I wish I would have interviewed somewhere else first as well to be better prepared but now I know I guess. Just have to hope for the best. I figured they only interviewed 40 to 50 so there's a lot of room for improvement



   
ReplyQuote
 MVM
(@MVM)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hey dmart, I was never shown the actual score sheet. Do you have a copy or do you know where a copy is available? I think that information being out there would help more future applicants. I personally took the time to get several certificates related to the elevator industry after i didnt do so well in my home town of Baltimore. So when D.C. opened their recruitment about 5 months later I went in there with more ammo. It helped A LOT. Before I interviewed with Baltimore I had a few elevator mechanics that i have known for more than 10 years give me a good reference to the people that would be interviewing me as well as my father being in the trade. My father wasnt a card carrying member yet...he got called in at the age of 56 after being on the list for three years!!! So although he had only been in for about 6 months, I thought all of that combined would make me a shoe in. Well, it didnt. I scored 91 out of maybe 150+ guys and with Baltimore being a small local, i wasnt very hopeful. However, when i interviewed with D.C. I knew NO ONE. All I had were those certificates that I just recently completed and with those I was placed 32 out of over 300 people. With D.C. being the 4th largest local my chances looked a lot better and as of last week they are on #26 after only six weeks of the rankings being out. Needless to say, I am hoping to get a call very soon....

Last edited by MVM; 11/28/17 12:41 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@dmart144)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
maybe somebody with better knowledge can give some insight, but while checking in for my interview I saw them grab my tool test and put it with a packet of paper that had a spread sheet of things to be graded on. it looked like a degree was 5 points, a related degree was another 5 points(I believe), attending school but no degree was 2.5pts, military was 5 pts, integrity 7, communication 7, so on and so forth. I just glanced at it so I cant be certain but I think that's how it went. And glad to hear you're that close already to getting called! you'll have to keep us updated as I'm sure youll be getting the call rather soon!



   
ReplyQuote
(@thatsalottadimp)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
MVM what certs did you get?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Davis89)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I have been following these post for a while.. I just ranked #12 in eastern Wa. I am currently in a different union trade and will be turned out next feb. My question is how often are these guys out of work? Being in the union im used to a few weeks here and there like all union guys. But you hear stories of other city locals being off 5 6 or even 7 months a year sometimes. I just fear changing careers at the end of my apprenticeship or newly turned out and finding out they dont work as much as i would like... Any input would be appreciated.



   
ReplyQuote
(@dmart144)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Congrats on the ranking! I was hoping to be around the top 10-15 myself but must have interviewed poorly. Be sure to let us know when you get the call whether you take it or not. I don't know much about layoffs but I'm sure as most trades there will be the occasional



   
ReplyQuote
(@captidgas)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
yeah i was hoping to be about half the number i got but job growth shows +12% for almost the next 10 years the chart shows 2016-2026 https://www.bls.gov/ooh/construction-and-extraction/elevator-installers-and-repairers.htm



   
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top