Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
81 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@txvet)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 107
 
Nice titan. Hopefully you get called soon.



   
ReplyQuote
(@jrr1982)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 19
 
Crazy, I have been watching this thread hoping someone would make it in. I am taking my test on the 28th here in MN. I will keep you all posted on the progress here. Just curious, here in MN, we have a 1 year probationary period. What about other locals?



   
ReplyQuote
(@txvet)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 107
 
Hey guys I made it! Took my drug test yesterday 🙂



   
ReplyQuote
(@titans)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 68
 
CONGRATS! It's about time they start moving that list. You'll have a little seniority on everyone else but at least the ball is rolling again.



   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
HELL YEAH TxVet! I'm genuinely happy for you bro, let us know next week how things go and who you go to work for.



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
Congrats man.



   
ReplyQuote
(@txvet)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 107
 
Thanks guys, so they got the drug test back today it's all good of course. Oh it's thyssen krup that I am working for. I don't know anything about them, I just went to the office for about 30 minutes. Everyone seems nice that I met.



   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
I'll be interested to see where they send you to work. I've heard that the elevator guys tend to have a longer range. Hopefully they keep you close to home starting out though.

Don't be late!!!



   
ReplyQuote
(@txvet)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 107
 
Yeah man I'll definitely not be late and keep everyone updated.



   
ReplyQuote
(@jrr1982)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 19
 
congrats txvet. thyssen krup is a big outfit. let us know how it works out



   
ReplyQuote
(@johnnytx)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 7
 
Fingers crossed I'll be getting a call soon too.

Question...do apprentices usually start the day at a job site, or at a central office location? I own a home/live about 60 miles north of Austin and I don't think the commute will be very friendly. I'm trying to figure out if the commute would be worth it, or just put my house up for rent and find a place to rent close to/in Austin.



   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
Hey Johnny, you were 6th on the list correct? If so I actually think you are next in line. I believe they have called out 5 people so far.

You will likely need to be at your job site around 7am, where ever that may be. Each local has its own jurisdiction and I couldn't tell you what local 133's is until I myself get accepted.

I suppose it's possible that if there is sufficient work in your area and you got in good with your contractor, they might cater a little to where you live. I wouldn't expect this as a probationary apprentice coming in though.

My electrical contractor basically keeps the guys who live south working south, and north working north (for the most part, I know people who are traveling all the way to San Antonio for work!). I may just be lucky to be working for a considerate contractor though.

If it were me, I would at least start considering the idea of relocating if it becomes necessary, because it very may well become a major issue for you. Getting through Austin in either direction can be a major pain, especially when we need to be at work so early already.

Seriously though man, good luck and I hope you get your call soon. I'm sure some of us in this thread may even end up working together soon, so please keep us updated.



   
ReplyQuote
(@johnnytx)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 7
 
Thanks! I was actually number seven on the list.

I began looking at moving back in July. I've been waiting to see who I'll be working for, and when/where I'll have to be someplace in the AM before going any further than looking at places online though.

I'd hate to rent a place and then realize that I'm on the completely other end of Austin from where I need to be every AM.

The only way I see commuting even possibly working out is to have to be at a central office in WAY north Austin, then departing for a job location.

I'm very familiar with Austin traffic...and it plain blows! I'm not sweating it, I just like to be ahead of the game when possible.



   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
Yeah, the other problem is that we are all most likely going to be in new construction starting out. Which is fine, it's just that unless you get put on an epic sized job, you'll probably be in a different part of town every few months or so.



   
ReplyQuote
(@johnnytx)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 7
 
Rgr



   
ReplyQuote
Page 15 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top