I have a question about whether we need to perform an elaborate load test every 5 years.
We are a 5 story building in Illinois with an Otis traction elevator built in the early 1930s.
We do the state inspection every year, which is expensive enough.
The issue of a more elaborate "full load safety" test comes up every 5 years. I can't find where this is mandated in Illinois.
Can someone clarify this for me? Is this a state mandated test/inspection every 5 years? Or is this an optional/recommended thing?
Thanks!
-sr
Could you venture a ballpark estimate for what we should expect to pay to perform the 5-year load test?
Let me ask, do you ever ride this elevator? Do you want to be the one who has to inform someone's parent, spouse or children they lost a loved because you didn't want to spend the money to ensure their safety? Imagine your own family having that news.
When you look at how much you will spend for this service, isn't it worth spending the less then 15 cents a day?
The elevator is up to code and we have the annual inspections performed every year. we recently added emergency lighting and communication to the elevator.
My main concern is trying to manage the elevator maintenance and testing costs since it's something that gets very little use in the building, and operates quite reliably.
We are in Champaign, IL -- if someone here services the area or knows someone who does, please message me -- I'd love to be able to compare some quotes.
Some more details: It's an Otis traction elevator, from early 1930s; capacity is 2000 pounds. As I said, we pass our annual inspections and just brought the elevator up to current code.
That seems really high to me just to run the test and pay for the inspector -- even given union rates, no? Hey I know everyone has to make a living but we're talking about a few hours of labor, right?
Being that your located fairly close to Peoria I know each of the "Big Four" national companies have field offices in Peoria so I would think each one would be happy to provide a quote.