Notifications
Clear all
Topic starter
17/02/2026 10:31 pm
We are working on an ancient 1920's era Otis freight elevator. The elevator has a traditional overhead machine that is geared 1:1 and runs at 50 fpm. Operation is constant pressure, so there are only 3 controller relays: Up, Down, and Potential. One of the relays has contacts that are completely eaten up, which resulted in an elevator shut down. I looked through all the normal suppliers, but I cannot find relays or relay parts that look like this. Do these still exist?
18/02/2026 12:10 pm
Unitec, Master Elevator Parts, SEES, Adams
Last edited by Montana; 02/18/26 04:16 AM.
Topic starter
18/02/2026 11:38 pm
Montana, I have tried all the normal parts suppliers, but I cannot find anything that looks like these relays. Have you found one of these before and could share the part number?
19/02/2026 10:47 am
These relays are rebuildable and adjustable. You will need to know the face and stem dimensions of the carbon hi-hat contact and the dimensions and stud size/length of the copper contact. In the past I have had some of the copper contacts made by a local fab shop. You might send a picture of the contacts you need to unitec sales or take the contacts out and have new ones made locally.
20/02/2026 8:42 am
I heard back in the day otis had cj building some of the solid slate controllers. That's how I found some of my coppers and carbons. Even the bronze contact holders.
Topic starter
20/02/2026 9:22 pm
Thanks for the help, guys! I reached out to UNITEC and C.J. Anderson. UNITEC could not provide an exact matching part number, but they gave me a list of possible contacts with dimensions. We'll need to return to the job and pull one of the contacts to check the dimensions. C.J. Anderson was a no-go, but they did quote me to build a relay-logic replacement controller.
07/03/2026 2:47 pm
Are the relays carbon contacts?
https://masterelevatorparts.com/pro...
Topic starter
09/03/2026 9:04 pm
Yes, they are circular carbon contacts. A buddy steered me towards ADAMS, as they have a selection of replacement contacts and holders that look like they will work. I put together a parts list and emailed it to the customer, just waiting on approval now.