Elevator Forum

Saftey Over 40 Year...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Saftey Over 40 Years

61 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
169.3 K Views
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You're wrong...Christy's been around forever....
*(image not available in this archive)*



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Ifr-bro you got some learnin' to do 🙂 Jim Collett has been around a long time



   
ReplyQuote
(@Administrator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Ifrratedpilot, why would you think Christy is not in the union or have formal training? Was his explanation of the situation over your head or did you not understand the scenario?



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If I had never read one of Chrisity posts before after reading this one I would of know this person was one of us. He talks the talk and has walked the walk.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Ifrratedpilot

After reading your posts under several topics I'm going to write it off as a bad day! You seemed a little angry as if someone kicked you dog!

Your mechanical expertise contributions to me are still welcome. Even though I'm Jewish, the owner of a mom & pop shop and consider Jim Christy my friend!



   
ReplyQuote
(@christycollett)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Hey Thanks You Guys,

For Ifrratedpilot, I'll sum it up for ya.

To settle up the union issue, started Local 18 in LA 1963, drafted US Army 1965-67. Adjuster/LR Haughton Elevator San Diego and LA 1967-1972. Service superintendent Haughton(took withdrawal)Elevator Seattle 1972 1974. Back into Local 19 1974-1980 Service Repair/construction Super US Elevator Seattle 1980-1983. 1983-1990 Foreman/Adjuster Schindler Haughton Washington, Oregon and California. Transferred to to Local 8 in Sacramento 1985. LR with Tri County Elevator Monterey California until retirement in 2000.

During Retirement Wrote the national best seller "Elevator Man Stories"

Everybody Work Safe (even Ifrratedpilot)

Regards,

Jim Collett



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
A fine example of professionalism and wisdom!



   
ReplyQuote
(@Smitty)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Always good to hear from another Haughton Adjuster. Only people who have had the privilege of the B5 Verniers or 1092-IC would understand. Keep Snortin; for Hortin lol



   
ReplyQuote
(@christycollett)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Hi Smitty,

Last brush with B5 1092 IC was in Century City. Stuff was pretty good gear. Way better than B3 or B4 (I think) Do you remember accu-flite? First ones out the door from Spencer Street were sweet. Ran like a regulator on steriods. As per usual Toledo screwed it up with too many feedback circuits. Last Accu-Flight I worked had the State of Californias' Weather Radar sitting right on top of the machine room. At the same time the wire wrap terminal strips had bad connections between wire wrap pin and screw terminal. Too bad when they finally got with it they went away. You may be interested in knowing that some of the Haughton engineers in Toledo are still working for Schindler on the old Haughton stuff.

Regards,

Jim



   
ReplyQuote
(@Smitty)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Accuflight was pretty good stuff for the time. I preferred the GAMs to the SAMs. I adjusted a ton of Goldflight. I guess most of that stuff has been ripped out now. I adjusted the very first Miconic V in DC. That stuff rode like a dream but talk about software problems. I hear Otis ripped that out a year or two ago. In some ways I'd love to work on the newer Schindler stuff... if I didn't have to work for Schindler. I work for a small independent company these days doing what everyone else is doing here ie trying to scrounge information, parts etc. I love the technology although mechanically all the stuff is junk.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
When you walk into a Miconic V machine room, you can see those telegrams running around the machine room.... 😁.

And don't you love the way that when, you know who, loses it, changes the password on the old puter... 😁.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Smitty)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Memories of long conversations with a guy named Joe Kuel (Cool).
Very slick speed control but I think I could have opened up an eprom store by the time we got done with that job.



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: christycollett
By chance I started checking the running circuit and felt a faint buzz on one of the relays. There should be no buzz here. This relay had a 220 VDC coil and with the safety circuit open there should be no voltage present whatsoever. The meter indicated around a 140 VAC. This car was an older Haughton ALNC with 220 VDC running circuit and above ground 208 VAC for most of the other logic. This was a throwback to the �Good Old Exciter� days. Fortunately the problem was right out in front of me; I just had to find it. I started pulling controller wire and checking the wiring diagram and low and behold there was a wire that didn�t belong on the DCLB relay. During the Fire Service upgrade we had added a new wire on top of an old wiring change. This wiring change was buried under a pile of old black controller wiring. It also wasn�t on the as-builts that engineering used to engineer the Fire Service revisions. This field wiring mistake plugged 100 VAC into the 220 VDC running circuit. This was not enough to energize the 220 DVC running circuit, but under certain conditions, this stray voltage could keep the running circuit powered up when it shouldn�t happen at all.

Great find, Christy!

I get so used to hearing buzzing relays, I've probably walked past a bunch of them without thinking twice. Good work!



   
ReplyQuote
(@christycollett)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Just as the skip mysteriously disappeared three hours ago, it suddenly reappeared in the dark hoistway like something right out a Stephen King movie. On board were the same four behemoths as before. Bud said "Get on, time for lunch". The trip down was not the same as the trip up. To begin with, there was no room at the center this time and believe me, you didn�t want to grab on to one of the other guys. The first day on the job was not the time for lasting impressions. One of the guys had wrapped a length of rope around the rope falls four times and was holding each end. This was our descent velocity control. The less he pulled the ends, the faster we went. The harder he pulled, the slower we went. Pulling even harder caused us to stop. �Ok?� He said�and down we went� and fast. My first thought was "I'm going to die" but the other guys were looking at me and grinning�.. It must be OKAY, I guess.

The Elevator Business is a hazardous business. I have and will continue to tell our humorous, everyday stories but due to the nature of the business, I must include the personal tragedies.

The ropes were smoking as we traveled down the hoistway at Mach 10. A new guy, Roy, panicked and grabbed the whizzing ropes with both hands. With five ropes traveling faster than we were and moving in opposite directions to boot, it was the fast thinking of the guy with the rope controlling our speed to stop the skip before any serious damage was done to Roy's hands.

Haughton had recently hired five new 50 per centers. These new guys, like me, were all about 20 years of age with the exception of Rob. He had at least 10 to 15 years on the rest of us and was no ball of fire but the guy tried as hard as he could. Bud treated this poor guy like a Galley Slave and was on his ass for anything and everything. Roy was also accident prone and had already emptied out two of our first aid kits and was always covered with band aids. Earlier in the job Roy had incorrectly grabbed a rail on the end while it was being hoisted into the hoistway. He had his hands underneath the end when the center of the rail wedged in the top of the entrance. Roy's hands were now wedged between the sharp end of the rail and the unfinished raked concrete floor. The rail kept moving, peeling his knuckles off. Roy's safety record on the job wasn't the greatest, but we do know he must have had a stellar safety record on the freeway. More than once he was spotted driving to and from the job in his green and white Nash Metropolitan wearing his hard hat at a rakish tilt. We all felt he should be in another line of work. As it turns out he had a close relative that was an elevator inspector.

Later in the job, the shop asked for a crew to do a small job in Bakersfield so Bud, gleefully, sent Rob and a mechanic, Carl, to do the job. Carl weighed in at around 300 hundred pounds and could only sit and wire controllers. We would all get a kick when he grabbed his leather belt with both hands and loop it up over his belly just like a lineman climbing a telephone pole.

Rob somehow made mechanic as a service man years later at an independent elevator company in LA. In the �80s he was answering an overtime call and while working on the broken elevator he made a serious mistake that cost him his life.

As the story goes, he answered a call on a duplex. He entered the pit of the running car without turning it off, then reached in between the counter weight rails of the running elevator to work on the adjacent car. The weights came down and severed his arm. He lay in the pit and bled to death long before a family member called the company and reported him missing. The company finally dispatched another mechanic to check on Rob, it was way too late.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Smitty)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
when I worked at Millar we had a helper wiping machines down on an older Armor job with a TMS 900 overlay. The kid had put the car on what he thought was inspection. It was the old inspection knife switch on the Armor controller. Well that switch didn't work anymore and the dumb ass company that did the overlay didn't have the sense to either remove it or at least mark it as non functional. The kid got his hand sucked into the sheave and lost three fingers and severely crushed his hand. After many surgeries later the kid finally left the trade. It was a textbook example of the need to provide lock out tag out procedures. It is complacency that hurts and kills people. I love this forum because as I get older, I realize the stupid chances I use to take myself.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5
Share:
Scroll to Top