Notifications
Clear all
Topic starter
23/01/2010 3:07 am
After reading the post about the handicap lift I thought I might share one of my own. (After 30 years I have a few)
I was operating an elevator near the end of a job for the contractors when someone needed to haul some pipe that would need the hatch open. So I slid my chair back and stood on the arms to push it open. It was almost 1/2 way when my foot slipped. As I started downward I instinctively tried to grab on with my right hand and the door slammed down. As I fell I finished tearing the end of my ring finger which I had to push open the hatch to retreive. It was too damaged so I now have a short finger. Always use a ladder.
I was operating an elevator near the end of a job for the contractors when someone needed to haul some pipe that would need the hatch open. So I slid my chair back and stood on the arms to push it open. It was almost 1/2 way when my foot slipped. As I started downward I instinctively tried to grab on with my right hand and the door slammed down. As I fell I finished tearing the end of my ring finger which I had to push open the hatch to retreive. It was too damaged so I now have a short finger. Always use a ladder.
25/01/2010 2:19 am
what you need to do is tell them to find another way to get it up there... i saw some boilermakers in a papermill shove some stageing planks up threw the escape hatch on a frieght car... problem was, the planks stuck out between the counterweight rails... the damage and injury was extreme... one kid was killed...
no points for being stupid...
26/01/2010 9:20 pm
I saw the aftermath of a load of 2X6s that were run up under the counterweights. One splintered and stabbed the carpenter right in the chest and collasped his lung. He lived but a couple months later was back to his old tricks again. Just goes to prove you cant fix STUPID.