Elevator Forum

Jumpers--Mechanic g...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Jumpers--Mechanic goes to prison

11 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
12.7 K Views
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#13406]
http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-cr...1.2107766#bmb=1

Does anyone know who this guy worked for? In all the stories I have seen not once does it mention who the employer was.



   
Quote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Sorry thought I posted to safety.......



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Did he short all the locks at the same time? On the particular lifts I learned on there was a relay in between the locks to not let the lift run by a short across both locks.

But this is a good lesson to new mechanics. Check the level of the lift on the entry level, go to that floor and check the doors and close them if necessary. Then check your locks, but never ever short both landing locks and car door together without assistance. 1 landing lock or car door by its self only. Even then ny closing the doors(or by checking and making sure the doors are closed on entry to the building), you can then place the lift on maintenance control and drive the lift to where you can get on top. Either way you DONT short all the lock at the same time without assistance.



   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
He worked for Transel I believe. I also believe that they were involved in 2 accidents, one that was a fatality.



   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Sorry I was wrong. It was Al Anon.



   
ReplyQuote
(@christycollett)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Not to Drop the "U" Bomb. Is Transel a signatory company?

By the way E-man "Very Good"

Work Safe and for Gods sake don't kill anybody

Jim



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
If I got this right Transel is a U shop and Al Anon is not.



   
ReplyQuote
(@BillS)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
He worked for Alan elevator



   
ReplyQuote
(@Dan Donlin)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The incident at SUNY involved a mechanic from Al-an elevator which has been both a local 3 IBEW shop and non union.
The incident at 285 Madison Ave. involved mechanics from Transel, now known as TEI which is a local 1 IUEC shop. I don't know if anyone from TEI has been charged criminally.



   
ReplyQuote
(@christycollett)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Can't believe this guy is an IUEC Mechanic. If he is, where is the Union weighing in on this. Was this guy current on his modules or a TM or Assistant Mechanic of just a helper taking trouble calls violating the standard agreement. I could feel for the guy if he was out there with without proper training. While working in Seattle the construction super talked the service super into putting his son to work in service repair. Well the kid tried to take an Otis MG set apart by attempting to pull the armature out the wrong end and on the next job jumped out the door locks and gate switch on a car he wasn't even working on.

Finally after giving a Disney Land experience to the building occupants Otis hauled his ass into the shop. Construction super's son or not.

Needless to say Otis said good bye but the Union stepped in and put the kybosh on termination.
The union should have helped this guy down the road.

Coming from a 40 year IUEC member.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Peter Cataquet)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The guy worked for Al-An. Was let go from Midtown Elevator for doing the same thing. The part I don't understand, who's checking references. Guys like that is why guys like me can't get into the union.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top