It's easy to make some clever quotes and even easier to sit back and be critical when you have never paid a guy for sleeping in his truck all day or showing up to work so drunk he can barely stand. When your insurance and lively hood is on the line.
I've been in this business for a long time, even yourself has passed through my companies a few times. Its easy to move from company to company until you run out of companies. Then I guess you go to the State or City. Then when they can't deal with you, then what???
I hope someday you will sit on the other side of the desk and you will have a better prospective and appreciation for this business.
When we were bought by otis in the 90's, the 1 thing that surprised me was their own mechanics were essentially told not to touch selectors and to leave any adjustment to the leading hands or adjusters. While i can understand that for complex issues but not for simple faults. The thing that got me was that they deliberately shyed away from training their employees from learning how to work on selectors and therefore not having to spend time on faults that dont require that level of attention. When we started some cross training our guys seems to understand the concept better than theirs. It just seemed odd at the time. It also was funny that the leading hands were not experts on all equipment either. They were either selector or 401 guys but not both which was not they way our L/H's were as they were over all equipment we supplied. I guess im saying the way they ran and trained their mechanics was weird.
My dad was an adjuster for Otis and showed me how to set neutral and compound a generator.He taught me how to set up an Otis selector.
The rest I learned on my own,taking books and prints home and studying them.
Not working right now but SoCal is a long ways from where I'm at.
My main problems are the idiots in management.I have my pride and dignity.
26 years in the biz,associate degree in electronics.Adjuster,service,mod,repair and construction under my belt.
Regretfully, there are too many scoundrels in California.
Check and Verify the character of any potentail employer offering a position but refusing to post his companies name, or even his own.elevatedone,
Regretfully, there are too many scoundrels in California.
Check and Verify the character of any potential employer offering a position. Especially one refusing to post his companies name, or even his own.
My respectful suggestion is to avoid giving your personal information to someone who could steal your identity. (ItοΏ½s happened)
Currently there are over 200 mechanics on the Bench in Southern California. Don't move your family here until you have been here 12 months and feel you know the lay of the land.
Sociopaths and substance abusers are good at telling us what we want to hear. Once they have you in a financial bind, they own you.
Respectfully,
Robert L Krieger Jr.
I wouldn't dream of going to a local where there are still people on the bench.I have seen it happen too many times.
You're right, it is interesting reading. If you've been around, then you know how it's done. If I was relocating, I might call you, but I like it here. You're right about one thing, a good man is well taken care of, and it's never about money... ever.
Alas...There are no longer any National independents that I know of.