Danzeitz glad to here yall are doing it the right way. +1
Have a good day gents and work sake. And remember...you can only do what you can do in 8 hours no matter what they say.
Now if you are your own boss! There's not much to say...
I, just like every elevator person wants to finish the race, integrity intact, and knowing I did as well as I could with what I knew, and what I learned, and how I put it all into practice.
And hey JK...the best part about all that disgustedness?...we endure and continue on, if only for but 24 more months. YEEHAWW!
I see a lot of newer people, probably gonna ruffle some feathers here, that are simply yes-men and will not stand up for what is right. One-man repairs, cutting corners on repairs and the infamous temporary fix that goes unaddressed.
Great example, elevator worker was impaled by a piece of rebar in Taiwan. The barricades were made of.....yep, rebar tie wired together...
In a refreshing light. Our area just had a small signatory company come in. They are taking contracts from the big three,left and right. They are doing things the old ways, the right ways.
Customers and driven prices down significantly by only signing 1 year contracts to keep vendors on their toes and rolling groups of buildings into "national accounts". Less money=less service, parts and longer response times.
The majors have to compete so they make cuts in parts and the most expensive cost, labor, to meet investors expectations. The problem is the elevator industry is fairly stagnant so less investors will buy stock.
What other heavy equipment service industry has "full maintenance" contracts? Eventually customers will drive a major to cut full maintenance contracts and the rest will quickly follow. Call me crazy but my guess is Otis will try it first now that Carrier is running the show.
Maybe with the customer fronting the cost of repairs the company will hire more people to meet demand.
Your supervisors and managers can tell you anything they want. They can pressure you into doing whatever gets them the biggest bonuses... And they will. They'd be stupid not to, really...
But, after reading through the previous posts of the guys who are so quick to pass the blame to the companies, they're mostly union members. They're my brothers in the IUEC. And, if their supervisor said they had to do a 12 minute maintenance visit (and I'm sure that narrows down which company I'm working for) and they thought they needed to spend more time than that to do work they'd be proud of, I'd stand behind them in any way I could. And I hope, for the future of our union, that their local brothers would stand behind them in this as well.
The companies can't be blamed for our poor work. They're here to make money. That's what they do. But we're here to build and maintain elevators; to keep the public safe; and to teach our apprentices to do the same. If you can't figure out how to either stand up to your supervisor, or just cheat their game, in order to get that done, then give your BA a call. He'll tell you which night he hosts union meetings and you can find a brother there that will help you do your job the way it should be done.
Work safe. Keep the public safe. Show the younger generation what it means to be union strong (because they desperately need it now). And never be afraid to stand behind your brothers, the work they do, and the future they're creating for the rest of our trade.