Elevator Forum

Wheel-o-vator Roped...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation

27 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
35.3 K Views
(@deanm11)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#15888]
I apologize in advance for the long story.

I go to a small church; we have a 5/6-yr old roped hydraulic elevator that gets very modest use. Maybe up & down 3-4 times a week.

I do most of the maintenance on the facilities in my spare time. My elevator maintenance company does a minimal inspect/lubricate twice a year by my contract. And then they have to have two guys present at my annual inspection.

I was present at the last annual inspection. I wasn't hovering over the guys; I was in the next room doing some other stuff. They spent about 30 minutes trying to make the overspeed/governor safety activate with no success. I got the impression we were still passing the inspection from the state inspector (New Jersey) but I guess what he meant was we could continue to operate. That day, the elevator maintenance co. said it should be no big deal to fix it. Then we got the write-up from the state inspector stating the fault on the governor. Ok, fine, I proceed to get ahead of things and get my elevator co. in to do the governor repair in plenty of time for the re-inspection which will no be at the semi-annual. (which normally doesn't require my co. to be there but will now)

I call to get them in to do the (supposed to be simple) repair and was told they have no idea what needs doing, they don't get the inspector's report, please send it. I do that and about a month later I get an email saying that basically the repairs were done that day & the faults are do to water damage (I am still dealing with keeping water out of the pit) and that will be taken care of with their October (pre-annual inspection) proposal. But that proposal was a $2800 bill to just scrape and paint the 'pit equipment' which I did myself before the annual inspection, rather than pay elevator repair labor rates for paint work. I immediately call and get put through to someone that is the service coordinator and after explaining the proposal was just paint work, he says the governor rope needs shortening. He's not sure when this was determined to be a needed repair but that he can see it in pictures(?) He reiterates that the governor safety activation issue is fixed. I call and after a few days speak with the state inspector who says, no, nothing was fixed that day. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a fail report.

So: If anyone can suggest a course of action? I am considering learning how to test the governor safety myself but it seems to be a two man job. I am not certain if the testing that day was simply manually swinging the counterweight but the inspector explained that this was one way of testing it. The "governor rope shortening" job is proposed at $2000.

Again, thank you for any advice.

Here are a few pictures of the unit:

[img:center] .html[/img]

[img:center] .html[/img]

[img:center] .html[/img]

[img:center] .html[/img]



   
Quote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Although I appreciate your concern, learning to perform the test does not ensure an inspector will allow you to do so.

I'm sure you are competent at what you do. And it sounds like you are completely frustraighted with your current service provider.

The red (orange?) wheel in your picture is the governor tension weight. Is it moving freely? It appears to be hanging well.

If you are dissatisfied with your current company, call another company or ask your inspector to recommend three other companies.

Not all companies & customers are a good fit for each other...



   
ReplyQuote
 Boa
(@Boa)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I agree with jkh. The item in the pic is the tension weight, if it spins freely and moves up and down in it's guide freely it is probably good. Judging by the color of the cable, the cable may need replacing. If they couldn't get the gov to set, most probably it's the flyweights on the governor. Most places require trained elevator men to perform the tests, safety reasons, and if you lost faith with the company the easiest thing is to get a second opinion or search for another company



   
ReplyQuote
(@deanm11)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thank you jkh, Boa.

I was only considering evaluating testing the governor myself, simply to ascertain readiness for inspection, since I think my company is wrong about it. I will get a look at the unit again soon but the 'wheel' just seems to be a fixed in place pulley to me? In the new near $2000 proposal, it is said "the overspeed governor rope has stretched and requires shortening" I'm pretty sure this has been kind of trumped up. If I was totally sure, I would switch companies without thinking about it. The lingering doubt is what puts me in a conundrum. I need a governor fixed to pass my inspection, the inspection itself costing a minimum of $400 and my company wants to fix something different. So with or without spending $2k with them, I expect to fail again and either have an elevator put our of service, fines for a second fail, or at least the cost of another resinspection. Thank you again for the advice.



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
This is my ideas just from the basic pic's, but done take this as gospel.The pic's are showing the tension carriage for the governor rope. The rope does appear to have some very minor kinks and showing some orange tinges so it may be the start of rust. If so the rope does need replacing. As to tension (of which these kinks then may be ok), if you notice the centre bolt in the middle of the tension diverter sheave, is the floating point for the whole system and is supposed to float or move up and down. You have painted the area, so check and make sure this can move and is free and maybe lube it with grease. The black weights are supposed to regulate this float. With the bolt in the centre of opening and with the rope a little loose, the rope may need shortening. As to get the unit to over speed, I don't think you will be able to do that, but we have had a switch on the controller(not sure on this equipment) to trigger the fly ball action on the governor to activate this, to test everything. In my experience these governors get actioned by bouncing of the lift or governor rope sticking and lifting.

Last edited by uppo72; 01/19/16 03:28 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Dean,
If you can take a picture of the governor that would be great. Many of this style elevator use a governor that allows us to overspeed it at the governor. A picture will tell.



   
ReplyQuote
(@deanm11)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thank you for the additional replies. jkh, I will get some closer pictures on Saturday. Do you mean low by what I was considering a pulley? I'll get a good compliment of pictures and post initially the ones I best determine are relevant, and can post additional ones if I've haven't got what is needed.



   
ReplyQuote
(@deanm11)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Finally got over there to get some pictures after the snow here in NJ. Here are the link:

.html

.html

.html

.html

.html

.html

.html

.html

.html

.html

Let me if this helps or if you'd like better shots of anything in particular. That bottom 'pulley' (I call it a pulley) can be turned by hand, eg., there is not a ton of tension on it. And I think it may be plastic.

Thanks guys.

Dean



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Dean most of the equipment in those photos relate to the hoisting ropes on the acceding ram, and the safety gear. You need to show the governor at the top of the shaft, but maybe you cant safely. Don't do any thing unsafe or what you aren't qualified to do.



   
ReplyQuote
(@deanm11)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Originally Posted By: uppo72
Dean most of the equipment in those photos relate to the hoisting ropes on the acceding ram, and the safety gear. You need to show the governor at the top of the shaft, but maybe you cant safely. Don't do any thing unsafe or what you aren't qualified to do.

Understood, thank you for explaining. I thought the 10kg weight at the bottom was related to the governor/overspeed mechanism. I will try to determine why next steps in getting this unit ready for re-inspection.



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: deanm11
Originally Posted By: uppo72
Dean most of the equipment in those photos relate to the hoisting ropes on the acceding ram, and the safety gear. You need to show the governor at the top of the shaft, but maybe you cant safely. Don't do any thing unsafe or what you aren't qualified to do.

Understood, thank you for explaining. I thought the 10kg weight at the bottom was related to the governor/overspeed mechanism. I will try to determine why next steps in getting this unit ready for re-inspection.

Actually the governor diverter sheave is related to the overspeed operation, but the latest photos near the ram and underneath the lift car are related to safety gear( which is related to the overspeed operation) and a bit about the hoisting rope. But lets simplify the issue. What I meant was the actual governor would be at the top of the shaft and that is what is determines how the lift over speeds.

Last edited by uppo72; 01/25/16 10:41 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@elmcannic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Or quite simply, the other "wheel" at the top, which carries the rope over and then back down. It should have some mechanical/centrifugal properties as well as electrical connections. The "orange wheel" at the bottom most likely has a switch that opens (and ceases all operation of the lift) when the wheel drops too low, due to rope stretch. But all that nice white paint may prohibit that action.
Awaiting more photos!



   
ReplyQuote
(@deanm11)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Finally, pictures of the actual governor. Thank you for insights.

.html

.html

.html

.html

.html

.html

.html

.html

.html



   
ReplyQuote
(@elmcannic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
We'll just " hang in there for awhile" and check back.



   
ReplyQuote
(@deanm11)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Were the new 9 photos not helpful? let me know what else I can do. I'm safe and comfortable on top of the car.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top