Elevator Forum

What is this little...
 
Notifications
Clear all

What is this little antenna for on TAC 20 ????????

22 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
36.2 K Views
(@Indirtwetrust)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You misunderstood. Otis had and still uses a remote monitoring system for the elevator like other companies have done and as TKE is releasing a new version of now that you see on your TAC-20. These are for monitoring of performance, shutdowns & predictive maintenance. They have never been intended to replace the life safety device in the elevator that allows a trapped passenger to call for help and get that help in the event of an emergency. BTW, a building with low to no occupancy poses the greatest risk. If the phone does not work and no one can hear the alarm, someone could be trapped indefinitely. If you end up with someone stuck in your elevator over a long weekend and have "cut" the line as you suggested, you will be sued. And you will loose! Maybe you didn't hear about the woman who died in an elevator in China last year for this very reason.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Silly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Not mad at all. Just wanted to be clear, the elevator phone line is a critical component. As a building owner, it is of course your right to look in the machine room and ask questions. You just wanted to keep asking from different angles, I tried to cover them.

The phone system is actually located inside your elevator. No point in picking around in the elevator machine room, we just patch the line through to the cab there. As I stated, very clearly, ask your elevator contractor about your phones. There ARE systems that can take VOIP. Rath Microtech V and above I believe have this ability. They may be forced to take an alteration permit out though, and upgrade to the newest code, which will have phone fault requirements, so it could be expensive.

As for the 16 dollar phone line, last project manager I discussed this with told me that number. For a simple POTS line it ran him 16 bucks a month, per line.

Our industry overall is not very fond of cutting corners, as you may or may not understand. The very best of us, wants the very best equipment, for you as an owner to have. Again I do not want to imply I would tell you how to run a building, as I am not familiar with it, just remember cheaper is very often times just that, cheaper. It is not as good, not as reliable, and you usually end up paying for it in the end.

Last edited by Silly; 03/12/17 11:49 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
 BRG
(@BRG)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I thought it was planted by aliens as a part of their takeover on the planet!!!



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: SpaceLord
Originally Posted By: pieman
In fairness I think the upset was caused as you were given advice by some very experienced and knowledgeable persons but then continued to seek validation from others for ignoring said advice.
Also probably best not to start a conversation about money saving exercises with the sentence " when I'm out on my yacht...." . Just a thought.

There was another member on here who told me that OTIS had something like I was talking about in the early 2000 however it was abandoned since it did not work that well.

It was reasonable to think that something with an antenna might also have the same feature that OTIS had but maybe something perfected.

I was really trying to expand on what other member posted

Also, it was not really a yacht but more of a regular size boat with a cabin inside. Very expensive upkeep and I sold it.
However, the point remains that I had a device that allowed you to send a distress call to the coastguard and have them locate the device. I don't know if it used satellite or pings like the Blackbox on airplanes. All I knew if it the boat was sinking, you grabbed the bag with the device in it and inflated the life raft and hoped the coastguard could find you.

Seem like that might be a good idea as a plan B for these elevators.

Thank you once again for explaining and answering my quesiton.

Actually my point was Otis had a 'functional' connection back to base, purely so base can monitor when elevators broke down. It had 'no' cellular functionality and in 'no' was a replacement for the emergency phone. My post was only within that context.



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: Indirtwetrust
You misunderstood. Otis had and still uses a remote monitoring system for the elevator like other companies have done and as TKE is releasing a new version of now that you see on your TAC-20. These are for monitoring of performance, shutdowns & predictive maintenance. They have never been intended to replace the life safety device in the elevator that allows a trapped passenger to call for help and get that help in the event of an emergency. BTW, a building with low to no occupancy poses the greatest risk. If the phone does not work and no one can hear the alarm, someone could be trapped indefinitely. If you end up with someone stuck in your elevator over a long weekend and have "cut" the line as you suggested, you will be sued. And you will loose! Maybe you didn't hear about the woman who died in an elevator in China last year for this very reason.

Snap.



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Incidently I have over the years serviced lifts on what we called caretaker maintenance ie 4 times a year. We shut the lifts down, when completed. Even with that program phones were required, however I did hear of lifts shut down and essentially not serviced and kept up to date ie phones as well. However, when they were turned on again, they had to be brought up to date again, including phones, but also potentially other systems that were ok, whilst continuous use was happening. Not the best way in the long run, and you still would be liable in the case of someone happened to get stuck in it. I wouldn't recommend this way at all.



   
ReplyQuote
(@SpaceLord)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Originally Posted By: Indirtwetrust
You misunderstood. Otis had and still uses a remote monitoring system for the elevator like other companies have done and as TKE is releasing a new version of now that you see on your TAC-20. These are for monitoring of performance, shutdowns & predictive maintenance. They have never been intended to replace the life safety device in the elevator that allows a trapped passenger to call for help and get that help in the event of an emergency. BTW, a building with low to no occupancy poses the greatest risk. If the phone does not work and no one can hear the alarm, someone could be trapped indefinitely. If you end up with someone stuck in your elevator over a long weekend and have "cut" the line as you suggested, you will be sued. And you will loose! Maybe you didn't hear about the woman who died in an elevator in China last year for this very reason.

Thank you for the response.

I suggested that other person may just cut the lines however I am trying to do the right thing and asking questions on this forum to setup an alternative method.

The building is not 100% abandoned. There is still a small company on the ground level however I do understand what you are saying.

Thanks.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top