Elevator Forum

Using hydraulic sto...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Using hydraulic stop leak in roped hydraulic

10 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
12.6 K Views
(@John Dyer)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#8369]
I have a Concord Pro Lift II roped hydraulic LULA elevator with black iron hard lines. Two joints are leaking. The worst leak loses about a gallon a year. Can anyone tell me of one or more of the many brands of hydraulic stop leak additive will be safe to use?

TSC carries Lucas Hydraulic Booster and Stop Leak. I can also buy Blue Devil Hydraulic stop leak locally.



   
Quote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Only a gallon a year I wouldn't try putting anything on it. Are they Victaulic joints or screw pipe. Victaulics are cheap and easy to change.



   
ReplyQuote
(@John Dyer)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Screw pipe .... In order to perform a repair, I would have to bind the car at the top floor and disassemble the pipe from the power unit half way to the cylinder.

One of the leaks is more or less captured by a catch bucket. The other is in a place where I cannot collect the oil, and it is coating the liftway wall.



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: John Dyer
Screw pipe .... In order to perform a repair, I would have to bind the car at the top floor and disassemble the pipe from the power unit half way to the cylinder.

One of the leaks is more or less captured by a catch bucket. The other is in a place where I cannot collect the oil, and it is coating the liftway wall.

It is always a good idea to repair a fault than bypass it but you can wrap a rag around the piping then direct the 'wick' to a bucket to at least direct the oil from the shaft/pit! I don't think you have to bind the lift to the top floor just prop the lift above the bottom for access, then drain the oil out of the line.



   
ReplyQuote
(@John Dyer)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
So I take it nobody likes the idea of using hydraulic stop leak. Mind you, this is a product you add to the hydraulic oil. It contains micro beads that collect in the piping fault.

Last edited by John Dyer; 09/06/13 03:23 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@traction)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Just fix the problem, stop leak is not your friend in this scenario. Run the car up, block it or pin it, and repair the leaks.

Do it right or don't do it at all.



   
ReplyQuote
 ABE
(@ABE)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I think putting any type of stop leak into the system could cause quite a few valve issues. I have never used the stuff but I can imagine that stuff blocking strainers and clogging up ports and pistons within the valve.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Philly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Stop leak would most definitely ruin the valve. Bad idea. Replace the pipe correctly by calling an elevator mechanic before you break something or hurt yourself.



   
ReplyQuote
(@sccjr)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Agree...Elevators will kill you if you dont know what your doing.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Take the stairs)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Stop leak doesn't work on hydrolics with multi port valves. You will be sorry if you don't listen!



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top