Elevator Forum

Safety Issue with S...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Safety Issue with Smartrise Controllers Door Zone

20 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
13.1 K Views
(@Alex_ELMAN)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#38669]
Just wanted to give a heads-up to the community about another important safety issue with Smartrise controllers.
This time TSSA has flagged a serious concern, and they’re urging folks to get it checked out ASAP. While this is currently a mandate for the Canadian market, let's not forget that safety should always come first- whether you’re north of the border or right here in the US.
I’d recommend getting in touch with Smartrise tech support and addressing this issue quickly to keep things safe.

Here's the official notice from TSSA:
https://www.tssa.org/safety-issue-smartrise-sra-controller-door-zone

Stay safe out there, and let’s keep our industry running strong.



   
Quote
(@elevatorman1966)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If this is happening in Canada it will happen in the US. We stopped buying Smartrise a while now.



   
ReplyQuote
(@ASME17)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yeah, well, no deaths reported yet, so I guess we’re all good here in the US. Real men just keep buying the cheap stuff, LOL.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Alex_Bouchez)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Smartrise controllers are the best



   
ReplyQuote
(@Montana)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
What controllers are you installing now?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Alex_Bouchez)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
C4 hydro. I love it



   
ReplyQuote
(@Alex_Bouchez)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
This TSSA thing is BS. Let's not overthink it.



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Alex Elian,
Thank you for your post. I don’t think any safety concern shouldn’t be taken into consideration. I for one will look into it. Hopefully no one gets hurt from someone not willing to verify a safety concern.

I would also like to point out that TSSA isn’t the only one who has reported issues of this nature. Not only has the TSSA , the IUEC and SmartRise has as recently as December 10, 2024.

Work Safe and make good choices!



   
ReplyQuote
(@EElevator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I've thought to myself before installing them its odd they only have one dz sensor.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Alex_Bouchez)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Let me tell you, I've been doing this job for years and I know what I'm talking about. You only need one DZ sensor, that's it. All this fancy code thing just makes things more complicated than they need to be. And don't even get me started on the TSSA, those guys are a bunch of idiots. They're always trying to make us follow their stupid rules and regulations, but I know better. One DZ sensor is all you need, trust me.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Elevatorguyla)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Well considering based on the Name and Picture, that the poster above is one of the Owners of Smart rise, I could see why he would feel that way.

But what I do not see is how exactly does the legacy controller meet the code? Based on the Bulletin looks like the DZ Sensor was the device used for Unintended Car Movement. Which doesn't meet the code. Please enlighten us, on how exactly compliance is being achieved? Sorry I'm not gonna take your word for it when the safety of me and my crew are at risk!

2.19.2
...

(-b) any of the following shall not render the detection
means inoperative:

(-1) the occurrence of a single ground fault

(-2) the failure of any mechanically operated switch that does not meet the requirements of 2.26.4.3.1

(-3) the failure of any single magnetically operated
switch, contactor, or relay

(-4) the failure of any single solid-state device the failure of a software system not
conforming to 2.26.4.3.2

(2) The failure of any single mechanically operated
switch that does not meet the requirements of 2.26.4.3
shall not render the detection means inoperative.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Indirtwetrust)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
He sounds exactly like the “bad guy” in one of those safety training videos right before someone dies.



   
ReplyQuote
(@TheElevatorGuy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Looks like the profile photo for the account alleging to be Alex Bouchez from Smartrise was created with a bit of cropping of the photo in this LinkedIn post

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/smar... ollers-activity-6787804751259140096-0L81

Add to that the rather bizarre series of comments made from that account that is practically brand new here on the forum's forums, and I'm guessing that someone might be having some sort of "fun" with a fake profile.

Maybe one of the moderators here can confirm?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Alex_ELMAN)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  

Last edited by Alex_ELMAN; 01/29/25 05:04 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@belevatorconsult)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Alex is one of Smartrise owners and it it sounds like him based on the very shallow understanding/respect of functional safety.

The bigger issue is that they changed the design of their filed controller without notifying TSSA while still providing an attestation statement that the controller was identical to the filed design



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top