Elevator Forum

Procomm plus and MC...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Procomm plus and MCE

13 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
22.3 K Views
 iggy
(@iggy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#10465]
This sounds a bit unusual. Have a 4 car MCE group. 2 from late 80's the other 2 after 2000, all tied to the M/R monitor from 80's. Needless to say. Monitor's shot, group software out of date. Anyway. Trying to use procomm plus communicate with the 2 newer cars, everything seems working, except every few seconds later, procomm plus screen jumped back to the MCE starting screen. Let say I pressed f3, computer showing hoistway, about 5 sec. later, display refreshed and back to original. Any help? Thanks.



   
Quote
(@swift5000expert)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Procomplus sounds like a terminal program. Is the m/r monitor a pc and does it use a standard rs232 port?jferro



   
ReplyQuote
 iggy
(@iggy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
procomm plus is a terminal program, i'm using it to emulate m/r monitor by plug laptop into mc-pa board.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Procomm plus is indeed a terminal program just like hyperterm and many others. Unfortunately it and other terminal programs do not have the emulation to paint the screen. About all you'll get in terminal mode is ASCII garbage. I believe the original on MCE was Wyse or Intercolor. It escapes me as of this moment.

However this product from MCE used to be free. Which had the correct emulation built in. Might have been straight ansi escape characters. Memories the 2nd thing to go.

But here's Motions.

http://www.mceinc.com/Products/MonitoringSolutions/msd.html

They had a Machine Room based one as well that worked on a laptop. Give em' a call. Hell of lot easier than re-inventing the wheel.



   
ReplyQuote
(@swift5000expert)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
why would they charge for a terminal emulator program? I would connect to the dummy terminal and figure out the keystrokes to make a windows version.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: swift5000expert
why would they charge for a terminal emulator program? I would connect to the dummy terminal and figure out the keystrokes to make a windows version.

Once again.....Swift does talk in dumbterminal mode. Now then if you're wanting to see the monitor.....

Without a video board configured for the correct readout and a monitor capable of painting the screen from the video board signals, so that you get your normal group display, or the PMI board display. You are stuck with a terminal on some sort of VT100 mode issueing FLT commands. Monitors need a graphical structure to paint the screen. True with enough time and money things can happen. But MCE offering for free. And swift 5000 your basically looking at a bunch of 30 year old dreams of John Pierre on those old RGB monitors. It's not hardly worth it.

I've wondered something about Swift. They claim they're non-proprieatary and for the most part they are in the states. In the provinces of Canada, no support is offered or parts to any OEM's in Canada, with the exception of TK. I thought Non-Proprieatry was just that, till a few trips that way.



   
ReplyQuote
 iggy
(@iggy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thank You Guys
what I was trying to do is emulate exact the M/R monitor, it's easier for me to troubleshoot the system all by just myself, because sometimes MOD guy placed the monitor in the ridiculous spot, not just 20 maybe 25 feet away, but also turned 90 degrees. in addition. this particular case, m/r monitor and keyboard are useless. I do have WYSE emulator program from MCE. But, for some reason, it's painfully slow.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Postal)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
MCE can provide you with Tiger/Tyger(?) terminal for your laptop to plug straight into each cars RS board or the groups
Piss on that CRT which is dead or can't be seen.



   
ReplyQuote
(@swift5000expert)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If you need a monitor for swift-5000 the graphics card is a matrox board rgb or possibly vga. THe problem is the original setup used a very expensive monitor and the plug on the monitor end was a d subminature db 25.
I am trying to see if a vga graphics lcd might be adapted.



   
ReplyQuote
(@swift5000expert)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The dumby terminal mode is a great advantage over other systems. AS orgramer can take a simple terminal and add buttons and whatever to see info while the elevator is running.
The reason it was sort of proprietary is that different jobs map i/o's to different addresses so it is not standard so a data file for each job was needed to run a dos program that swift provided for free.
I found that the first 4 rows of i/o's is for the most part standard so in2003 I wrote my own program to observe i/o's while the car was running and added bells and wisles like :
>a stop counter
>velosity request while car is moving
>data logger so info could be reviewed offline
>hands free test to run car between 2 points and one of those 2 points coukd be changed at runtime.
I am trying to find a company willing to hire me to develop software.
video screenshot datalog replay
http://www.firstchroniclesproductions.com/demo/show_n_tell.html
jferro (202)498-7952



   
ReplyQuote
 iggy
(@iggy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I didn't know MCE has this program, will try to get in touch with them.
Thanks.



   
ReplyQuote
(@swift5000expert)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Painfully slow:
>what type of laptop?
>What operating system?
>Is the commport built in?
A lot of the guys are using older laptops, most of them use a commport that is built in.
I have even used a small dos program to work on schindlers epoch II and MPH II.
If the software is dos based it only works with com1 or com2.
It will not work with usb to rs232 adapters.
I am a 35+ year elevator mechanic but I also write software. I am trying to snag a job developing software.
The following is a video of the screenshot of my swift program reading a data file into the same interface I use when I am working on a controller.
http://www.firstchroniclesproductions.com/demo/show_n_tell.html
[email protected]



   
ReplyQuote
(@swift5000expert)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Painfully slow:
>what type of laptop?
>What operating system?
>Is the commport built in?
A lot of the guys are using older laptops, most of them use a commport that is built in.
I have even used a small dos program to work on schindlers epoch II and MPH II.
If the software is dos based it only works with com1 or com2.
It will not work with usb to rs232 adapters.
I am a 35+ year elevator mechanic but I also write software. I am trying to snag a job developing software.
The following is a video of the screenshot of my swift program reading a data file into the same interface I use when I am working on a controller.
http://www.firstchroniclesproductions.com/demo/show_n_tell.html
[email protected]



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top