Notifications
Clear all
Topic starter
29/04/2020 8:24 am
Does anyone know what the oil bath brake coil part # would be for an Otis #85307 machine? Old Otis 4000# overhead traction freight car. I thought I would ask before I land the CWT and tear it apart. 240 VAC. Don't judge, I love working on the old greasy ones. Haha.
29/04/2020 9:09 am
Did you try sending Unitec the Otis sales number? They can can go back surprisingly far with their records sometimes.
Topic starter
29/04/2020 11:25 am
Abe, I don't see a sales # anywhere on the unit. Thanks for the response buddy.
29/04/2020 9:07 pm
It would be on the controller data tag or on a machine data tag. Or worse case scenario if you have a good motor shop you can pull it and have it re-round.
Topic starter
30/04/2020 6:08 am
1905 - 1906 era. No sales # but has Shop No. 85367 on the crosshead data plate. Thanks again Abe.
01/05/2020 7:09 pm
I just repaired two of these... I could find no coils available commercially but had great luck rewinding them at my local motor shop. tip: take the entire brake mechanism (everything below and including lid) into your shop so they can ensure very tight clearances. See contact info for the shop who did a great job on mine!
Mader Electric Motor & Power
Springfield OH
(937) 325-5576
Topic starter
02/05/2020 1:36 pm
Thanks so much Truegrit2. I experienced the same thing. We took the coil to a local motor shop today and will head back Monday to pack out the entire brake mechanicals for them to fit the new coil on. Out the doghouse, across the roof, down the ladder, across the attic, down the ladder, down 4 flights of stairs, out the garage door, down the stairs, across the parking lot to the van. Haha. Unitec said the job files have been lost to time. I really appreciate your feedback buddy.
04/05/2020 5:15 am
dang, they're never in the machine room next to the dock are they! Good luck!