Elevator Forum

otis ab base contro...
 
Notifications
Clear all

otis ab base controller. aka goolean logic

13 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
15.2 K Views
(@Scott Davidson)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#2247]
Here is a good one. I have an ab base goolean logic controller with 6850 selector, no advancer, 200 fpm. the car runs fine, but at the bottom landing the car will stop and cancel the car or hall call and not open the doors until you press either the door open button, or the call again. every other floor is fine, this has been going on for a few months now and no one has been able to fix the problem, the tenants just know to press the door open button or reactivate the call to get out. any ideas?



   
Quote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
They had sticky call relays on the boards. Easy to see which boards are call boards, by the the row of soldered-in miniature silver colored relays, one for each floor. Some Otis techs would take the call boards out, slap 'em against the controller cabinet, for a late Friday fix. World might have a replacement. Maybe a n/c contact isn't allowing the normal door open function at that floor. You know, like, relay drops out, the n.c contact closes to initiate automatic opening?

It wouldn't be door zone, because the door open button works, of course.

Those controllers are extremely sensitive to damage, from removing the boards with power on. Obviously, you should always turn off the power on any controller before removing any boards, but I just wanted to emphasize how incredibly easy it is to damage a lot of stuff on that type of equipment.

Last edited by Vic; 01/05/12 05:00 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
hey vic what is a goolean controller? i know the 6850 selectors pretty well in fact i reckon quite easy to fault find, but they where mostly added to the geared umv's. scott i take it that youve traced the d/o ccts down. i doubt it would be the car calls as if you pushed the call again it opens so maybe not that. do you have a do/dc relay or 1do,2do like i think the 260vip controllers? maybe the 1p on the selector not making properly or is it the contact on the selector to reset it? dont know but this goolean intriges me. any info would be great.

cheers mate.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Scott Davidson)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
hey vic, this controller does not have relays on the call board, it is all solid state with a neon light indicating which car call has been pressed. good idea though, can't say that i have seen this type of controller with relays on the boards. Uppo, I think the term goolean logic is an otis name for boolean logic which is a way to represent elevator circuit logic using AND, OR, NAND, etc in a way that is easier to understand then looking at the actual TTL circuit diagrams. There are a few goolean logic controllers out there, i think they are A based B based, and CB based. although I'm not sure of the difference. maybe some old otis guy could chime in. I have fixed a few over the years, and they are not easy to understand. they basically have a couple of racks of plug in boards, some relays, and a selector, either 6850, or a electronic selector. they are intimidating, and there are still quite a few of them running in los angeles



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The only goolean I ever worked on was at the Bonaventure Hotel, I think it was, downtown Los Angeles. I think it was B base? All been torn out now, been modernized. I don't remember that much about them, that was late eighties, early nineties.

260 VIP? 21 UCL? Ah, those were the days! 8^)



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
i see. its plc software style. must not have made it here as never seen anything like that. the only non vip/ucl old otis lift ive seen are the gamma controllers with the thyrister control. and they are some of the biggest crap ive seen.



   
ReplyQuote
(@elevatedone)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Did you replace any brushes on the selector floor bar for that floor?
Might be a bad tc on the selector.

I use to repair those boards back in the day for the A-B based otis.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Scott Davidson)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
almost forgot about this post, it was a floor bar contact for the bottom floor, im thinking it was the FPC contact, although it has been awhile since this post. any way i remember the signal for that contact would come on, then off real quick, and back on again. this would cause the problem.. cleaned the contact and back it went to work.



   
ReplyQuote
(@aquadag)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Here is a good one I have the Schematics book that shows the schematics for all a and b based boards. I also have a tester to plug all the boards in to test the I/o's. I had a twenty story building that had 12 of these cars in it. I think the a base is one with a standard selector, and the B base is the advancer version for the gearless. Now that I have my own company I am trying to get these back on service. They can be a pain with out the tester but with the tester they are easy to fix. You can pick most of the chips for them up locally at Radio Shack or an electronics store. Otis gave me the book and tester because nobody in our area could use it. Thanks big O. It has made me so much money 🙂

Last edited by aquadag; 01/10/13 06:23 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@Scott Davidson)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
nice, not to many guys left who can fix these old units. aqua dog you must be an old man like me :}



   
ReplyQuote
 Len
(@Len)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I had a lot of these units..down the shore,700fpm 65U control,selectors with the advancers.really good and dependable equipment..the Test cards with all the leds were great when troubleshooting a input problem..remember that the do signal for all door operation functions was on the XJ card..the Vip260 as it was called was the foundation for the 101/401 elevonics...



   
ReplyQuote
(@elevatedone)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
That equipment is good,it just needs someone who knows how it works and what wears out.

When I got into the biz,I was an adjusters helper on new construction for the 401's.
Many late nights on overtime burning chips.

I would be hard pressed to fix one now without the omt and a book.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Buddy)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hello
I just picked up an Otis Job with 25 cars, high rise with B Base equipment, I’m looking for material , manuals, boards, and possibly a board tester.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and
Regards
Please get back to me!



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top