Notifications
Clear all
Topic starter
26/04/2026 5:11 am
I work at the Copper Queen hotel in bisbee AZ, and have inherited the job of maintaining a 1945 Otis traction elevator. It works pretty well most of the time, but eventually it will land at the 1st (of 4) floor, and just sit there opening and closing the doors. In the control room, the 1f relay will be closed. During this behavior, the elevator won’t respond to any call buttons, but I’ve found that if I flip the alarm switch at the top right of the in car panel (not the emergency push bottom, but the toggle to right of it, opposite the car light switch) it will snap out of its loop and continue on its way. Also if I manually open the 1f relay it will carry on as usual. Any suggestions? I’ve replaced a few of the 222 z-8 relay coils on the relay panel, what would be the next logical step? Thanks for any info
Topic starter
02/05/2026 5:40 am
Update- i ordered new 222-Z8 relay coils for all the floor relays, and (2) of the 222-W19 2 wire coils for the CK and BL relays (car door close button, and emergency call cancel(?)) so while waiting for them to arrive, I removed the CK and BL coils, then just for the heck of it I powered up the elevator, and all of a sudden it is working almost perfectly! The door used to close on you regardless of whether you were in its way or not, the eyeball sensor would beep when you crossed it’s path and broke the beam, but the door would still close on you- now if you cross the threshold and break the beam, the door stops, slowly opens, then closes again and goes on its way. No more cycling the doors open and closed. Any ideas why disabling those two relays would fix the issues I was having? One thing I did observe is that the terminals of the BL relay have 120v across them at all times, which I find strange. I traced the wires back and it is the F51 and SG2, the F51 has 120vac to ground, the SG2 has 11.74vac to ground, and when the relay is energized, it just closes the circuit between the two. I’m not sure that’s how it should be or not.any ideas?
03/05/2026 7:33 am
Fyi , to work on an elevator on AZ , you MUST work for a licensed elevator contractor. You are opening yourself up to personal liability, which I’n certain they are not paying you enough to risk. You are not fixing the problem, you are resetting the conditions. Your problem isn’t in the area you are looking, please tell your boss to call out an elevator contractor. Someone dying because you messed with something you shouldn't have will weigh on you the rest of your life, possibly from a prison cell. Your family doesn't want to visit you their.