Elevator Forum

Normic 3200 w/ Quan...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Normic 3200 w/ Quantum Drive Vibration

20 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
18.6 K Views
(@rollaway-up)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#7710]
Started getting vibration felt through to the cab.
Only in the up direction and more pronounced as the car passes halfway and continues to the top floor, is at its worst nearing the top floor. The drive cabinet is also making noise consistent with the vibration.

Definitely ruled out the obvious (roller guides etc) I'm looking toward the drive. Has anyone had this happen? Trying to narrow down between tach/capacitors/scr but any ideas would be helpful. Runs great empty car going down and short floor runs going up but any high speed runs sets up a vibration.

Thanks



   
Quote
(@aquadag)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
check cable tension, if they are unequal this can cause havoc with the ride



   
ReplyQuote
(@rollaway-up)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I did check rope tension about 3 months ago doing my annuals and was ok as well as governor idler sheaves and the other usual culprits for vibes.

Its only in one direction (up empty car) and more pronounced near the top landing.

This drive is also called a Swift Quiet Drive.



   
ReplyQuote
(@NewMech)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Have you looked at the encoder (on the motor or any other feedback device)?



   
ReplyQuote
(@rollaway-up)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I did i loosened the setscrews and rotated it and didnt feel any abnormal resistance. Checked all connections between tape, cartop rotary encoder and machine encoder. Any other way of testing with field equipment?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Administrator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Check the power supplies on the Vector Control Board (Quantum Drive). I think there is: +5, +15, and -15 VDC. See if there is any AC voltage on those supplies while the car is vibrating. Also, check the LEDs on the drive while its vibrating to see if any unusual flickering. Make sure your encoder wires are not near motor wires or high voltage wires.



   
ReplyQuote
(@rollaway-up)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
No abnormalities reflected in the LEDS. The unit has been in service with no problems since 2003 and no new wiring has been added near the encoders. In the process of checking for ac on the vector board is that the current regulator mounted to the inside of the swing door? ( i dont see anything labelled vector but my information that came with the job is very limited)



   
ReplyQuote
(@Administrator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I believe the main board has the test points for the different power supplies +5, +15, -15. I meant to check if there is AC riding on these filtered power supplies. I think the encoder voltage on these is only 5 VDC.



   
ReplyQuote
(@rollaway-up)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I didn't find any ac in the test points but i did find the power supply tucked up underneath cabinet near the fans. On the advice of a friend I ordered some capacitors for the regen braking circuit in hopes that might help, as it only vibrates when the car is being pulled by the counterweight (up empty).

Id like to replace the faulty component but gaining proprietary tech support and engineering information is next to impossible. time is of the essence and i might have to replace the drive as a whole if its possible. My concern with that is there are many configurations available and this is on a 460V mod. Might not have them at home depot
Is there anyone in north america that does exchange on these drives?

Last edited by rollaway-up; 07/20/13 02:18 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Rollaway,
Did you test it with a balanced load? Did you test it with the full capacity?

Looking at you previous post. I see you looked at the encoders. How are the encoders coupled?



   
ReplyQuote
(@john jay)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
it may be worth putting a hand held tach on the drive sheave, make sure you are not going faster than contract speed in the up direction.



   
ReplyQuote
(@rollaway-up)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I retensioned the hoist ropes today to make sure nothing changed. The customer recently told me they were moving office furniture all week before this happened.

The drive indicates the speed and it shows car is overspeeding and underspeeding back and forth. I compared this with the other car for accuracy.

Even with ropes retensioned on inspect and sometimes 350fpm i was almost feeling slip. Ropes are all sitting equally in their grooves on the drive sheave....I marked the ropes and after 15-20 runs they had moved equally up the sheave. Ropes are still within spec and were replaced in 2004.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Philly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Maybe over-lubed cables?



   
ReplyQuote
(@john jay)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
the first thing I always did when having these kind of problems was to first replace the velocity encoder, making sure the counts and voltage on the new encoder were correct. Its really hard to check an encoder, and it takes 1/2 hour to replace one. Are any of the encoders driven off the governor, if so check the rope and linkage. Then look at the gears in the Machine, I assume its not gearless, is that correct?



   
ReplyQuote
(@rollaway-up)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
The encoder is on the crosshead and runs with a roller guide on the rail. it is a geared machine. Ill order an encoder tomorrow. I do have rope slip so ill be checking the sheave for wear. Seems premature to have worn ropes/sheave. .



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top