Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Lift Upgrade

3 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
2,977 Views
(@Terence)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#21980]
Please allow me to introduce myself first by saying that I am not a lift engineer. My experience covers hoists,, traveling cranes and fork lifts but not counterbalanced lifts.

I have recently come accross a situation where a 20 year old lift with a capacity of approximately 1150 KG or 17 passengers has been "upgraded" by fitting additional Stainless steel panels and a granite floor and according to the contractor that work has increased the weight of the lift car by approximately 400 KG,s which put the system out of balance. So to correct the situation the contractor added an additional 400 kg,s to the counterbalance weight .

So we now have an additional load of 800kgs on a 20 year old hoist system and 400 kgs on the car so I ask is that acceptable?

As far as I am aware no tests were carried out after installation although I would have expected that the overload cut out/indicator, if working, would have had to have been adjusted.

I would appreciate if those of you with the necessary experience give me your comments and or suggestions

Thank you for your time
Terry

[email protected]



   
Quote
(@ubro96)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I'm not sure where you are located, but here in the province of Ontario in Canada with TSSA being the govonoring body would require a submission to be completed by a certified engineer to sign off on the equipment and the building structure to be able to withstand the extra weight. On the elevator side, he would search the shaft loads for the machine, the safeties, and buffers.The normal acceptable level is + or - 5% so if your car weight is 4000lbs an acceptable change would be 200lbs. You would have to weight the car before you did the cab work to know what the original weight was.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Terence)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thank Ubro 96 Thank you for your input.
We are in Malaysia



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top