Elevator Forum

kone ecospace safet...
 
Notifications
Clear all

kone ecospace safety test

16 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
24.2 K Views
(@travis)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#6045]
I'm doing a full load safety test on a kone eco space for the first time tomorrow. I'm not familier with this equipment cuz I work for Otis and we don't have many of these on service.

I was told the way to over speed the car is fill the car up with full load (2500lbs.) Run it to the top landing shut the power off, pull the motor leads of the drive and pull the brake re-less, basically drop the car fully loaded.
Is this right?



   
Quote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
"release"!

I think there is a better procedure, maybe I can find it.

Ask yourself what would happen with that method, if the governor isn't working. Doesn't sound too promising to me.



   
ReplyQuote
(@travis)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Yeah. The car would crash into the pit. That's why I'm questioning this method. Let me know if you find anything.



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If you are doing 5 year full loads and going by the book, youll load the car to capacity and run it at contract speed into the buffer. Unless we are on a goverment job we never do high speed buffer tests. What the points of removing the leads? Are you gonna remove the leads then turn the power back on? On the thyssen MRLs we load the car run it up a couple floors up. Block up the sheave brake/rope gripper. Then we have a tool we can pick the brake with. Super easy to make a brake picking tool that works off of 110 and pull the brake leads off the controller. Then after we crash the buffer then we run the car back up and then the buffer has a certain amount of time to return.

To do the %125 percent we load the car with the weight in the car on the 2nd landing. Then run it down one floor then it should hold. If not then the buffer is right there to catch the car to minimize damage.

I would like to see a ecospace. I never seen one. Is the governor accessible to trip it in flight?



   
ReplyQuote
(@travis)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
The test is a annual state mandated test. My paperwork says "the cars safety be tested to determine conformance with the applicable requirements". Also "the governor shall be inspected and operated manually to determine that all parts operate freely". Also the 125% load brake test. My paper work says nothing about the buffer.

Apperently you can't get the car to move fast enough to trip the governor with the motor leads hooked up, so I've been told. I wasn't going to turn the power back on with the motor leads disconnected.

If the machine room is else where in the building, There is a small access door at the top floor, where the brake RELEASE (just a leaver you pull) is at. I guess the kone guys like to take the key to the access door if they lose the contract.

No the governor is not accessible to trip while in flight. I guess I could car top access down from the top floor and hit it with a broom stick. Probably should put a ladder in the car if I do it that way.

Last edited by travis; 03/01/13 06:09 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@Administrator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
What state are you doing this annual test? In California, I believe this is just a hand trip to the governor to set the safety (empty car) at slow speed. I don't think you have to do a full load safety test on an annual basis here. You may want to call your State office to confirm.



   
ReplyQuote
(@travis)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
The more I look at this paperwork from the state the more I believe your right. Doesn't say anything about full load or high speed for safety or governor test, just the brake. I'm a hydro guy so when it comes to tractions I'm gonna have questions.
Thanks guys for your help.



   
ReplyQuote
(@john jay)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
travis the kone gov can be tripped from the controller.All you have to do is move a jumper to the test position at the top right of the adon board. there is a book out on how to do this and otis also has a tool to pick the e-brake. I highly recomend you have your super get you the proper tools and info before conducting a Load test.Also if it is an early vf16L drive they won't pick a full load back up off the safties after you set them. So trip near a floor, so you can remove the weights. I didn't see your post till late. I hope you haven't gotten yourself in the old trick bag.



   
ReplyQuote
(@E-man)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I've heard the same about the vf16L drive being incapable of picking the load back up off of the safeties. The Kone guy I talked to says he keeps chainfalls with him when drop testing for that purpose. Ain't that some crap, an elevator company specs out a drive for a car and it won't pick up a full load....

Last edited by E-man; 03/01/13 10:31 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@travis)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
thanks john jay and e man for the info. lucky me i got to talking to the service guy for this particular job and low and behold he had all the info that i needed in a binder to get the governor to trip from the controller during flight. so i know now about moving a jumper to 'test' on the adon board, among a couple other things. it was actually pretty cool to test. i know otis has a roped hydro with the same features, although i have not had the opportunity to test one yet.

thanks again guys for taking the time to answer my questions,



   
ReplyQuote
(@travis)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
hey sbrmilitia. here are some pics i took of the ecospace

the original host/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=6069



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Travis,
Sorry I couldn't help you in time. But looks like the board members here came through for you.

If you have any spelling questions, I'm available! 🙂



   
ReplyQuote
(@Vatorman15)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
John Jay..................... top right of the CPU



   
ReplyQuote
(@john jay)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yep CPU, amazing what you can forget in a few years.



   
ReplyQuote
 lou
(@lou)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
is the governor self resetting ?



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top