Elevator Forum

HW brake and 38 Wes...
 
Notifications
Clear all

HW brake and 38 Westinghouse mach

6 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
5,899 Views
(@Hope&Poke)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#28662]
Anyone have information on " how to " disassemble Hollister Whitney brake , adjust, clean coil . Same for #38 Westinghouse machine. This kid is wanting to do right and when I reached out...I get the oh NO... don't mess with it cause you're gonna make it worst then they will have to do a 125% load test.i figured they never done it B4. But I m not scared. Any information would be appreciated.



   
Quote
(@RustyIron)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I'm a fan of having weights brought out when any substantial work is done to a brake.



   
ReplyQuote
(@DripCan)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Go onto HW web site they have documents for your job not that bad to do they don’t recommend Vaseline an graffit they want it dry I use a dry graffit spray lube works great



   
ReplyQuote
(@UpandDown2321)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
If you touch the springs or shoes weight tests are automatic. The days of putting it back where it was are done. Too much is left to chance on that method



   
ReplyQuote
(@john jay)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
FYI, 8.6.4.6.2, states that if any adjustment is made to the Brake, that affects the holding capacity, you must test it. It also references 8.6.20.4, which states you must seal the adjustment with a tag identifying the person, or firm making the test. This went into effect in the A17.1-2000 code.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Hope&Poke)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thanks for all the replies. The HW website was helpful, they're offering training this summer. I ended up removing, cleaning, and lubricating the pins, coil and plunger. Replaced switch. Springs and shoes were still in good condition so I left them alone. Good experience. I even got a few hairs on my chest.

Last edited by Hope&Poke; 02/13/20 10:25 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top