Elevator Forum

Fire protection vs....
 
Notifications
Clear all

Fire protection vs. elevator equipment room

7 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
10.3 K Views
(@sprinkler)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#205]
Hello, I'm not in the elevator trade but rather the fire protection sprinkler system trade.I know, boo on me, but I have a question and thought that this forum could most likely answer it for me.
I am in a discussion concerning sprinkler system piping entering the elevator equipment room through one wall, supplying a sprinkler in the room, and exiting through the opposite wall. I would like to have the code number, section number and paragraph where it relates to this situation. Is there a web site that I can get a copy of this section maybe?
Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Russell Rewis



   
Quote
(@Elevatorman_1)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
NEC Chapter 620, NFPA Elevator Code and ANSI A17.1...

Heat detector located within 24" of your sprinkler head to fire a shunt trip breaker to kill the power to the elevator equipment before your head fires...



   
ReplyQuote
(@sprinkler)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thanks Elevatorman 1 but my situation is sprinkler piping going through the machine room.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Elevatorman_1)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
simply read what i gave you and you will find your answer...

if your sprinkler line passes through, but does not support the levetor room, it cannnot be in there...



   
ReplyQuote
(@sprinkler)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Simply read my original post and you'll find that I also ask if there is a copy of the code that I could get without buying the the entire code book so that would in my mind indicate I don't have one to read that section you referenced. I also stated that there is a sprinkler in that room (assuming that what you mean is "protect" by saying "support") supplied by that pipe.
Thanks for the try but I guess I need to look else where.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Administrator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Sprinkler, what state or city are you performing this work or inquiring about?



   
ReplyQuote
(@donrosenberger)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
http://www.raleighnc.gov/publications/Fi...lletin-IB-2.doc

Sprinkler,

The question you ask is difficult to answer without knowing the jurisdiction that the elevator machine room is located in. Lift-Tech has asked the question regarding the location for this equipment.

If we are talking about the U.S. then A17.1 latest edition of the Elevator and Escalator Safety Code, which is a model safety Code that each Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) can add or delete requirement as they see fit. Let�s assume that the machine room sprinkler is in an AHJ that has adopted the A17.1 as written. The requirement would be found in A17.1 -2007 (2.8.3.3). This would be the answer to your first part of your question. The answer to the second part is no there isn�t a website that will provide you with the A17.1 because it is copyrighted.

If the equipment is in CA I saw a link to their Elevator safety orders on this website that has the 1996 CA version of this rule.

The A17.1 rule starts out by saying the sprinkler system has to meet the NFPA 13 Sprinkler Code. The second part states that all risers and returns shall be located outside the machine rooms etc. Then they describe what is allowed when the machine room is above the roof level of the building. In this case risers, returns and branch lines are allowed inside the hoistway so that they do not have to be exposed to cold temperatures outside the building.

If your system uses a flow switch and the sprinkler line with a head in the machine room travels through the room to another device. Then requirement 2.8.3.3.2(c) says only the device in the machine room shall disconnect power to the elevator.

Another requirement 2.8.1 states that only machinery and equipment is allowed to be in the machine room.

You can access all the NFPA Codes on the website www.nfpa.org when you register for free and get a password.

I hope that this helps a little if not you have my e-mail address and we can discuss this in length if you have any further questions. If you read the North Carolina bulletin the Fire Marshal has provided an answer to your question and he described it as a Code item that is often found in violation during their acceptance inspection.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top