Elevator Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Electrical safety

4 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
2,061 Views
(@beaupeep)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#16151]
Anyone out there using flame resistant clothing? If so, where are you purchasing? Seems like as soon as it says flame resistant they double the price



   
Quote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I have a few pieces. The last thing I purchased was a set of cover-alls. I purchased them about ten years ago at Grainers.com. We have a hand full of sites we visit where it's required. Some want shirts and pants or cover-alls, others allow us to wear lab coats.

You may want to look on Amazon. We bid a major repair and I included several sets of FR clothing as part of our bid.



   
ReplyQuote
(@danzeitz)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I will try not to carry on too long. ARC Flash is another problem that our unique industry struggles to keep up with the rest of the world. We changed our uniforms out to all cotton and added a long sleeve cotton shirt to our safety bags along with non metallic belts about 6 years ago. And we supply FR or ARC Flash jump suites and face shield with gloves on jobs that they are required. Now that your all kitted out try to troubleshoot and elevator in 100 plus degrees!!!!! I attended ARC flash training and they went thru the whole process on how to determine the CAL rating for the disconnect. I then ask what to do when we don't control up stream of the disconnect nor were there any calculations for converting AC to DC and then changing the frequency of the AC when inverted back. I was told it sucks to be YOU!!! As with most safety items when you have a situation no one has the answer to you assume the worst and now your expected
to trouble shoot in a aluminum covered suite designed to protect foundry workers!!! We are currently installing controllers with dual cabinets so the starters and drives are separated from the control voltage so you can trouble shoot in a far less cumbersome protective clothing!!!! If you are following the RULES you will be in full ARC Flash clothing with face and hand protection as you stand to the side to pull the mainline disconnect. We have jobs that this is required and we have full time safety personnel assigned to watch our mod and route mechanics. This is the future guys get ready......



   
ReplyQuote
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Dan,
I can always count on you bring your "A" game to the table. I agree with your assessment of the direction the industry is currently heading. The only thing that has deterred the few of our customers that may start pushing that line has been costs.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top