Interesting. I always use the word overshoot when a lift goes past level to its destination floor regardless of direction.
I'm not sure of this equipment but this is pretty standard for hydro's and how the stop works.
To the question, there will be a slow down signal, either via a magnet or the like switch which direct the hydro block to slow down(up slow valve) and level up to floor level. The 2 magnets at floor level would be lev up/down( essentially for floor level stop and loss of pressure relevel) and as soon as both magnets are seen it will stop. Cold oil could be an issue(remember cold oil is essentially thicker and prevents the valve from closing fast enough), but 2 quick runs will stop this (you can prove this by doing 2 runs). If this is an issue, a oil heater might be needed. However I would make sure that slow down signals are working right also.
Actually in our experience oil temp can have a dramatic effect on floor levels at the bottom floor(cold oil lift goes thru, hot oil lift stops short) and it became such an issue that we had to make the slow down ramp into the bottom floor longer than at other floors. This was what we had to do to stop breakdowns and to stop motor thermistor issues with the lift unable to level up properly. This might be the equipment but our experience. I would also caution on trying to attach lift motion to motor action and then name it over shoot or not. The simple fact is part of any lift is downward travel and in my opinion it either stop level high or low.
Does the job not have a print? Why are you guessing what tells the car its floor level? All that info should be on the print.
My input is generic only from my experience with multiple manufacturers of hydros. When I said reset, I meant you as a mechanic have to short of the over travel and send it up. We found on some models that if you lengthen the slow into floor into the bottom floor you can eliminate this issue. Sorry if their is confusion here.