Elevator Forum

Can anyone verify i...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Can anyone verify if this story is plausible?

8 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
5,278 Views
(@Reverend Sam)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#1087]
I was on another forum that is totally unrelated to elevators and one of the members told a story about how he got trapped in an elevator and escaped by climbing out through a hatch in the ceiling of the elevator car. Here's exactly what he said:

"I only had to climb to the next level. I popped off the drop ceiling, opened the hatch, then climbed on top of the elevator car. The door to the next floor has a little dial you twist that makes the doors open."

I called BS on his story, but he's sticking to it. I used to work for a fire alarm company and I rode on the tops of elevator cars many times. You guys would give me a lift to the top of the shaft so I could test or service the smoke detector up there. I know that the code requires the emergency hatch to be locked or bolted shut. And I never saw a "little dial" to open the outer doors. There was always a bar or lever for opening the doors from the inside.

Is this guy's story plausible in any way whatsoever?

Thanks in advance for your help!



   
Quote
(@GreenPants)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
it is possible. the guy is also an idiot. the reason emergency hatches are locked and bolted shut are because people have died doing exactly what he did. was he in such a hurry that he couldn't wait 30min. for a trained professional to get him out?



   
ReplyQuote
(@elmcannic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
In ANYway whatsoever? Possibly. Yes I have seen units with broken escape hatch latches before, typically old plywood cabs, yes I've heard stories of occupants getting onto a cartop (elevator surfing? )and real stories of people getting maimed for doing just that BECAUSE they got on top of a live car that was stuck, and subsequently moved when that person was in the worst position, and got tangled up between the cab, gutter, and the spreader beam. Twisting a dial? Ya mean like a (pick-up)roller? You got a lay person, a non elevator person describing what they did in the dark to get out. Plausible? Yep, I believe so. But the guy could be the best story teller in the county! The life of the party! And just loves to run his mouth!



   
ReplyQuote
(@elmcannic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
So Sam...are you a Reverend for real?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Reverend Sam)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
I'm an agnostic ordained minister.



   
ReplyQuote
(@kiwinightstalker)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
exactly how did he open the hatch as it is locked (in Australia anyway) with a key



   
ReplyQuote
(@Reverend Sam)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
He said it was unlocked. But then, how did he reach it? How did he pull himself up through it without a ladder and no one in the elevator boost him up? Once on top of the car, how did he know how to operate the mechanism to open the outer doors? How did he even find it in the dark elevator shaft?

On a completely different subject, I remember back in the days when I was doing fire alarm installations in new construction. I always wanted to be an elevator guy! Your work looked much more fun than the stuff I was doing! And I thought it was a blast to ride on the tops of the cars to get to the smoke detectors at the top of the shaft. It was the weirdest feeling, standing on the top of the car watching the walls go by.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Matthew)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I love hearing the stories were people thinking if they press a series of calls it would give them a 'secret' Express operation or some sort of hack. Elevators arent that complicated lol.



   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top