Elevator Forum

Can an open cab be ...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Can an open cab be used in a rated hoistway?

4 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
2,403 Views
(@Gibson)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#5040]
Please tell me if I'm posting in the wrong place or if I should direct my question to someone specifically.

I manage an old industrial complex circa 1900. We've sandblasted the beams and brick and are leaving it exposed for an industrial loft feel. The existing freight elevator needs updating to passenger, but I want the riders to enjoy the view of the hoistway as they travel up and down.

Two local companies are putting together bids for a standard replacement, which will include building a masonry block wall the full height of the shaft - 5 levels from basement to 4th floor.

Two part question:
How can I stick a new, smaller cab in the hoistway in a way that allows a full view of the space? The hoistway is 16'x14', and it would be a shame to not feature it if at all possible. AND Are there cab options that feel more old industrial and that meet code?

Thanks!
Gib



   
Quote
(@elevatedone)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hopefully the companies will inform you of your local codes for existing elevators.Things change when you upgrade,or mod the elevator.

Here are the ,I presume the latest codes.

http://global.ihs.com/search_res.cfm?RID=Z56&MID=5280&input_doc_number=ASME%20A17%2E1&s_kwcid=TC|5891|asme%20a17.1%202004||S|b|13706150834&gclid=CK3tydvrqbMCFQjznAodMjkAYA



   
ReplyQuote
(@Robert Krieger)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
The answer to your question about can it be done, is Yes.
May I recommend you get yourself a consultant to listen to your desires, articulate it in a specification that meets the local Authority Having Jurisdiction's code requirements. Then have whom ever you want bid on your specification.
Otherwise, you will get the heel of the bread loaf and will not get exactly what you want.

It might have been cheaper just to put sheet rock over the structure of your building, but I think you are interested in something honoring and reflecting the history of the Building.

I can promise you that with the correct consultant, you will save many more times their fee in disappointment from the "slick willy" salesman who just wants a commission and later tells you that what you are now asking for is a "change order" and will cost you more. (even though that is what you wanted all along)

That being said, can you post pictures of the current situation? I was recently in Nebraska and saw some well maintained equipment still in service dating back to the 1890's
The people in Omaha, Lincoln and McCook seem to value good maintenance.

I was impressed with how thoughtful the people I met there were.

Respectfully,

Robert L Krieger Jr.



   
ReplyQuote
(@billvator)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Just had a cool idea....what about a glass cab??? you could do some lights in the hoistway from top to bottom keep the hoistway as big as you want and put what ever size elevator in that is most cost effective for you. the glass is more expensive but you would get the look you want and be able to meet all the codes for a new elevator.

consultant's are good and for this job you may want one, but the are very$$$$, and finding a good one?? never had any luck in my area. but you being the customer buying the elevator, he would be there for your best intrest.

Last edited by billvator; 11/01/12 01:54 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
Share:
Scroll to Top