The unit is binding and causing the drive to fault out. I did a die test and the pattern is attached, The strange part is in the down, I show no wipe at all , but down runs smooth, the bucking is in the up direction. When I lift the spider the bucking in the up lessons, but the down then starts to buck as well. The drive only trips an overload in the up still. The wipe pattern remains the same , nice contact in the up and no wipe in the down. This is done with the weight of the empty car on it. If I hang the car unit runs smooth.
Why do I have no wipe in the down? For shits and giggles, I tried lowering the spider, and as expected the unit bounds up solid even taking out 15/1000
Any suggestions to keep this gar running 6 more weeks?
We actually just had Titan machine convert the shaft to a new style trust bearing, the original was a two piece design was trashed. There is about 0.020 of backlash , so it's really worn, units 90 years old. The last mod didn't get a new machine. I found signs of the machine running with no lubricant at some point, lots of inclusions on the gears , and 4 deformed teeth that I had to clean up with a dremal, but nothing else really out of line for such an old machine. Ive never seen no wipe on one side of the teeth before .
I'm thinking there's no wipe in the down direction due to the weight being off, ie car wants to drift down. Since the car wants to drift down empty, it's always got pressure on one side of the teeth. If you run up, it's the same side. If you run down it's probably still wiping on the same side since gravity pulling the car down faster than the machines running the gears.
I bet if you lightened the car up or added weight to the counterweights so the car wanted to drift up empty, you'd see wipe on the opposite side of the teeth