Elevator Forum

Woman in the elevat...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Woman in the elevator trade?

21 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
37.4 K Views
(@christie)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter   [#3188]
Hi,

I'm wondering if there are many woman active in the elevators trade/union? I'm currently a single mother in the mix of changing careers and found out about the apprenticeship program through my local college. And yes, I can handle working hard and getting dirty. 🙂 Thanks, Christie



   
Quote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Here and there, there are some.

Strong ability, technical, will gain you respect.

What general area of the country are you in?



   
ReplyQuote
(@christie)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Hi Vic,

Thanks for your response. I live in California now; I'm willing to move for work if there isn't anything here locally. Prior to having my kids I was a labor for 6 years and enjoyed working in the construction trade and with men. I'm looking at other trade apprenticeships, but the elevators pay, strong union and pension plan are the best. Is there a lot of work within the trade? I would think there would be more work within the elevators then any other trade because of the servicing part of it, and different areas of work, etc.



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Well, Christie..., Here in Los Angeles/Orange county, we are in Local 18's area. Last time I heard, there were like 500 hundred people on the "bench", waiting for work. The union even told them not to hold their breath, but to seek work in other industries. It's extremely slow. Yes, service is fairly constant, but that doesn't create new jobs, except for the trickle of new elevators coming off of warranty service.

Wish I had better news. If and when things pick up, it wouldn't hurt to be already signed up at the hall. I suspect they might not be taking any new applicants right now, but that could change. Anyway, here's their number 800-428-5226.

There is an oil boom town in the mid west, that pays great, but there's zero entertainment or charm to the place. It's a place to go to survive, and to make money. I'll google it, see if I can find it, and post it back here.



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Ok, there's too many hits to list, but if you google "oil boom north dakota", or "bakken oil fields", "stanley north dakota", a lot of stuff pops up. If I was starving, I'd consider going. I don't think each and every job there is hugging the drill rig pipes, there must be some variation in all the derivative support services.



   
ReplyQuote
(@ifrratedpilot)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
We hired a female welder one time as a construction helper, problem was she was a single HOTTIE and everyone wanted her for a helper especially on those out of town jobs. Some pretty frigged up units were installed while it lasted. They finally had to let her go.



   
ReplyQuote
 KRYS
(@KRYS)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I just started my second year as an apprentice in Local 3's Elevator Division in NYC. Including myself we have about 8 women in our local.



   
ReplyQuote
(@christie)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Hi KRYS,

What kind of test did you have to take to get into the local 3?
Is the test/interview process hard? I just sent off applications for both CA and WA state for the elevators apprenticeship. How do you like being in the trade? Have you stayed busy and employed? Congrats to you and the other 7 woman! Thats great!



   
ReplyQuote
(@Broke_Sheave)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hi Krys...
Congrats..

I believe there is a place for ANYONE in this business, that wants to learn and grow...

Welcome aboard!!!



   
ReplyQuote
 liu
(@liu)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hello to all, i�m from Spain, i�m not a woman, but i work in a important multinational elevator in Europe, and here work a lot of womans, with great succes, i just want to give encouragement to Christie, is a good job, and you can find good friends who support you.

Greetings.



   
ReplyQuote
 Vic
(@Vic)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Greetings, liu!



   
ReplyQuote
 KRYS
(@KRYS)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hi Christie-I initially had to wait for the union to recruit publically, which was limited to 750 applications given out.I then took an entrance exam, and interviewed in order to get into the union. I have been working on elevators for a year now,and I absolutely love it.If you have a strong mechanical and technical aptitude, then I strongly urge you to persue a career in the field.You have to work hard and show initiative in order to prove yourself.Respect is earned in this trade.



   
ReplyQuote
 KRYS
(@KRYS)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
@Broke Sheave. Thank you for the encouragement. I worked hard to get into this trade and every day I aspire to learn more to enhance my skills.I appreciate any advice or knowledge about elevators from anyone on this forum.



   
ReplyQuote
(@GreenPants)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
i think its time this trade comes into the modern age. we are too closed minded sometimes. we should all work smarter not harder. the days of big macho guys grunting in rails are gone. good luck ladies i hope you do well for yourselves and families.



   
ReplyQuote
(@rachid)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
hi friends I am looking for mechanic exam



   
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top