We have about 25 mechanics in our area and there are only about seven or eight of us that take calls; I understand that all service mechanics are contractually obligated to be on the call rotation. This system has worked out fine for many years, but with new installations and new contracts callbacks are increasing.
Increased overtime callbacks are leading to longer wait times for customers and sometimes no service; this is a rare occurrence but we have had several storms and power outages recently.
Our office now wants two men on call at all times. This sounds like a fix, but we are not sure how to implement the plan. The guys on the current rotation want calls and those not on the rotation do not want calls.
Any ideas how to please both parties? Alternate mechanics in the order which calls are received? Second mechanic gets called after primary mechanics has received three or four calls?
Thanks
I would advocate that the best way to do a 2 person roster is to do a next cab of the rank style ie pick a name as the first on the night( at the start of the o/t), then flip it for the next night and so on. If it is on paper, then no-one can get upset about who takes the call. Of course you could also have an agreement with the mechanics if call come up, which are close to a mechanic to flip the order of the calls, especially if they are stuck with passenger calls.
That being said where I work we average 40 calls a weekend (Saturday and Sunday) during the summer months. Our schedule is set up with a two man system, but only for the man on call to use. The on call period is for two weeks. We have 6 men in total. you are the first man Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of week one and back up the other days. First man Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday of the second week. Back up the other nights. The rotations overlap one week. So your back up first week is different the second week. Sounds complicated when written out but it's not. Only draw back is you kill two weekend. But down here it's worth it to have help when you need it. After your rotation, you're off for 4 weeks till it's your turn again. We used to have 10 in the rotation before cut backs. It was awesome back then you where only on call like twice a summer.
You decide when to call your back up out. I usually wait till I'm 6 or so behind. Then I dispatch the calls I want him to take for me. I usually try to give them the broke buttons and doors not closing calls. We try to get to the customers as soon as we can but sometimes you just can't help it here. Even with two guys are out.
get it up or get out