Elevator Forum

Interview date next...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Interview date next month!

121 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
449.5 K Views
(@titans)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hey silly, how would it work if you're laid off while you are attending school? Would you continue to attend or would you wait until you went back to work?



   
ReplyQuote
(@Silly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Typical crew size for new installation is 2 guys for an elevator. Timelines dictate,bigger jobs how many 2 man crews we may send out. Example 6 elevators on a job, each elevator takes 5 weeks to complete, jobs timeline has elevators complete in 6 months. Company may send only 2 crews out, get to the midway point, and remove a crew, or maybe they send out 3 crews, finish the first 3 cars, then leave a single crew for the remainder. Again time available and projected workload sort of dictate how companies run these jobs.

The old school question. As far as I can remember you are allowed to finish school for a certain amount of time during a layoff. School criteria does dictate you are employed by an elevator company to attend school. Top of the head, I want to say its like a 30 day period from layoff notice, until you must be rehired to stay in school. Very possible that this number is different for other states, as my state has an approved apprenticeship program, and so is most likely regulated.



   
ReplyQuote
(@kiwinightstalker)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
you say that the last lunch I sat in on was 4 guys from Thyssen, 2 from Kone, 2 from Otis. Pretty standard stuff, we are all brothers up here....
wow..in the Otis world that IS a HUGE nono...conflict of interest and all that crap.....Im sure all the other majors ethics brownnosers would be drooling trying to catch you out on that one!!!!

Last edited by kiwinightstalker; 08/13/14 08:10 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@TxVet)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Hey silly, when a new apprentice starts are they usually assigned to new construction or service calls or does it not matter and a luck of the drawl thing?



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Usually Newbies start off in New Construction or Modernization. I have not met a Service Helper in a couple of years, they really dont exist anymore, sad.....



   
ReplyQuote
(@TxVet)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
That's what I figured, it makes sense. They want u to know how it all works first.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Solution)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Does anyone know if Elevator Constructors are able to also pursue an Electrical license via the on the job hours they receive?

I know they do their own electrical work, and am curious how that works. Will I continue to accrue hours towards my Electrical license while working through the IUEC if my contractor has a master electrician on staff?



   
ReplyQuote
(@TxVet)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Solution, as far as I thought your hours have to be signed by a licensed electrician, so unless there is one I don't think it'll work.



   
ReplyQuote
(@TxVet)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I have not heard from anyone from Austin on here in a few days, it has been two weeks since I found out I am next on the list and have not heard anything, do y'all think it would be weird if I called about work going on? You guys know what it's like when you call, they seem irritated so I don't want too name then mad.



   
ReplyQuote
(@titans)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Well I just called the Nashville local. 8 people were just laid off. Now I'm back to #9. This is torture. He said that were expecting some company to put about 7 or 8 of them back to work pretty quick though.



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I check the thread almost twice a day..honestly for me I am getting married on September 8th so I actually hope they don't call till afterward or I will have to cancel the entire thing..I would be happy if I got a call before January, I would be REALLY happy if it were before the holidays but at this rate I don't see that happening.



   
ReplyQuote
(@TxVet)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Butcher that's awesome, my anniversary is Sept 8 2007 haha congrats man.



   
ReplyQuote
(@TxVet)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Titans what do you ask when youcall? I never get any info when I do it, maybe I am asking the wrong thing



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Ya I booked the hotel and everything in Destin Florida..I don't think the union would care if I was I'm my honeymoon when they call.hopefully they will give me at least a week notice before the drug test and everything. It would also suck to get a call and start and then get laid off...we just spent almost all of our saved up money for the wedding so I would be screwed.



   
ReplyQuote
(@TxVet)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Yeah that would pretty crappy, buggy luckily it seems like they don't lay people off for too long if it happens.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 9
Share:
Scroll to Top