I'm sure this board has seen its fair share of posts like the one I'm making now, but please bear with me, and maybe give it a go one more time!
I'm interested in getting into the trade, and have done a fair amount of research... Just got done reading about 30 pages of a topic on this board, as well.. but did have a few questions, still.
My plan is to apply to every recruitment opportunity I can, within driving distance, here in the Southeast, and go from there. I'm not too worried about the aptitude test (I recently passed one for the IBEW) but the interview process is giving me a bit of stress.
My primary questions is this:
I would be coming into this trade from a white-collar background. Work as a newspaper reporter and communications professional. I'm fairly familiar with tools -- from working on my own truck, assisting my father (a carpenter), and various other random bits of experience (working maintenance, and other retail/delivery jobs during summers), but for the most part, will have nothing relating directly to professional mechanical/electrical experience to discuss with interviewers.
That said... Am I wasting my time? How improbable might it be for a not-so-young guy (28), with no official mechanical experience, to earn a decent ranking following an interview? Is there anything I could or should be doing to better my chances?
Thank you all, in advance!
Was the lack of experience not an issue in getting an apprenticeship for you?
And yes. I'm certainly aiming for the Elevator industry. The IBEW apprenticeship, assuming that THAT interview goes well, is just to serve as a backup were my elevator interviews to not go as well I need.
The lack of experience didn't matter as I'm waiting on a phone call and I'm close to getting it. I had other experience (military) that helped.
So, between the lack of experience AND no military background, I'm anxious. But, we will see, I suppose!
Really appreciate all of the info. And yeah. I plan to try about four times here in the next couple of months. Luckily, several cities within driving distance are recruiting.