Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@ElecTech)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Neiep's website says Austin is opening a new recruitment today which seems really quick considering they had one in late 2016. Anyone on the inside know why? I think something similar happened with Hawaii as well.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Solution)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Originally Posted By: ElecTech
Neiep's website says Austin is opening a new recruitment today which seems really quick considering they had one in late 2016. Anyone on the inside know why? I think something similar happened with Hawaii as well.

Austin's lists are usually pretty small, and we have a ton of work on the books this year. Lot's of probies being hired.



   
ReplyQuote
(@2Tall)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Five guys just got called by Otis last week in Austin, we got drug tested on Friday and we start safety training tomorrow. They got to my number much faster than I expected.

Last edited by 2Tall; 04/23/17 06:21 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@streetcar)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: Lord morey
I'm also on the Phoenix list, although I didn't rank as high as you did. Let us know when you get the call so maybe I'll have an idea how fast they are going through the list.

Got the call today, Otis is hiring a 'group' of guys.

For reference, Phoenix, low 20s rank, nearly a year since interview



   
ReplyQuote
(@Solution)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Originally Posted By: Solution
I know I know, another damn wana be apprentice starting a thread. Sorry.

I just have a few questions and would greatly appreciate anyone willing to respond.

I'm currently finishing up my first year as an apprentice in the IBEW (electrical union) and although I like it so far, from the research I've done I really think I would prefer this trade.

So in May the Austin local #133 will be taking in applications, and I got me some questions.

First of all, is this union one where I stand little chance if I don't actually know anyone already inside the union?

Will the fact that I have electrical experience working through the IBEW help improve my odds of acceptance?

Is there any blanket advice that you can give me prior to my interview to improve my odds?

Is there anything about this trade I should know before I apply?

Does anyone work in Austin and/or Texas? If so, am I making a good decision pursuing this and what can I expect?

Overall, how difficult is it to gain entrance into the program?
I'm 23, and have both college/construction experience as an electrician.

Anyways, I'm simply anxious because I really want to be a part of an exclusive and demanding trade such as this one, and would appreciate any and all input. Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you gentlemen!

Well the economy is still strong, and I still love my job (most days). I have found success in this trade since my initial post, and am surprised that this thread has surpassed a million views. There is obviously an ongoing interest in this trade, so I decided to create a subreddit that people are free to post to/ask questions in. Here is a link, please feel free to subscribe. https://www.reddit.com/r/IUEC/



   
ReplyQuote
Page 44 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top