Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
81 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@silly)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 215
 
So much depends on the local, then the dept. you are hired into. Local 19 has a state that allows marijuana, so we are having a giant issue with candidates unable to pass simple UA's.

Best advice, already stated here and require zero skill:

Be early, 15 min. Should do.
Attitude- never have it.
Energy - be ready to work! This trade is a damn privledge, not a right!
Be prepared - still use this, what's an apprentices job description? To make his or her mechanic look good.

Items that should be on your person each day include:

Notebook and pen/pencil
Channel locks
10-1 screw driver
Tape measure
Electrical tape

With those simple items you can do a surprisingly large amount of tasks. Again each dept. may have a few different items to add in, such as service repair may want you to have 1/8th inch tweaker and door pick on you as well.

Nobody expects a new hire to come in knowing anything, so don't pretend to. Effort and attitude will get you as far as you ever wanted to go. I will spend years training the right sort of person, won't spend 15 minutes with the wrong kind. Good luck, work safe, and work within the agreement.

Last edited by Silly; 05/25/16 06:23 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@e311)
Reputable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 363
 
Well said!



   
ReplyQuote
(@crowtrobot)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 16
 
I appreciate the advice but I am not feeling too great about my interview (but I was positive I failed the test, so who knows). The questions were super simple, but I still felt like I messed up some how. I feel like I will get on the list, but not with a great number.

For anyone curious, Local 21 in Arlington TX had 140 people pass the test. Won't know the interview numbers until next week.

Edit: I do have to say though, dudes who may read this in the future, I know we are not trying for a CEO Position at a fortune 500, but at least wear a button up. T-shirts and tennis shoes are not a great idea.

Last edited by CrowTRobot; 05/27/16 04:07 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@crowtrobot)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 16
 
Welp, I'm on the list. Number 86, not crazy about the number, but I'm on the damn list. I don't know how many guys made the list, but I'm pretty high up there lol. Having read this thread though, I know not every who gets the call takes the job, so here's hoping. In the interview I asked about how busy DFW is, they said pretty much all the companies have a 2 year backlog of work waiting to be done.



   
ReplyQuote
(@titans)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 68
 
You'll be working in no time. I'm in Nashville local 93. We've had 3 recruitments in the past 6 months. Last week the BA called and got 2 guys from the list in Ohio and 5 off the Miami list because we're stretched thin with all this work. All of our 2, 3, and 4 year apps have been probated with temp mechanics card. So just be willing and able when your local calls and bust your butt for your mechanic and he'll take care of you.



   
ReplyQuote
(@crowtrobot)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 16
 
Oh man, I hope the Dallas market is that busy. I live an hour away from DFW, so I can't really judge the amount of construction with my own eyes. Here's hoping. How are you liking it?



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@e311)
Reputable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 363
 
We are Very busy in DFW, Houston and Midland/ Odessa are also booming.



   
ReplyQuote
(@crowtrobot)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 16
 
Who handles Midland/Odessa?



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@e311)
Reputable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 363
 
Local 21



   
ReplyQuote
(@electech)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 64
 
For there to be 3 recruitments in 6 months, was it a matter of there being so much hiring or were the lists just too short?



   
ReplyQuote
(@crowtrobot)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 16
 
Originally Posted By: E311
Local 21

Oh cool, didn't know how far they spread out.



   
ReplyQuote
(@gmc94)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 5
 
Just wanted to give you guys an update. I received an email stating that I am ranked 93 for the local 2 list. I would have liked to be a little higher but I'm in the top 100 so I'm ok with that. From what I've heard Chicago is busy busy so hopefully they run down the list quick! If anybody else knows more about the work in Chicago let me know thanks!



   
ReplyQuote
(@electech)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 64
 
Congrats to you and crowtrobot, welcome to the waiting game!



   
ReplyQuote
(@electech)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 64
 
@crowtrobot, there is a map of the local jurisdictions on local 50's website but i don't know how up to date it is:

Map of local jurisdictions



   
ReplyQuote
(@crowtrobot)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 16
 
Thanks ElecTech, that's very interesting. I would have thought a OK local would handle the Panhandle.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 29 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top