Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
81 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@displayname)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 20
 
Good luck on Friday Lord Money!



   
ReplyQuote
(@electech)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 64
 
I guess the rest are busy with work and classes, which I guess is a good sign of the industry's activity.



   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
I still check the thread, but don't often post because 99% of pertinent information can be found over the past 20 pages.

Hopefully it continues to be a good resource for people looking for information like I was when I started the thread.

@ElecTech, this trade is absolutely keeping me busy. Between school and overtime, I've learned a ton over my first 2500 hours. Still screw up daily though, and the difference between a great elevator man and your average mechanic is cavernous. Much more to learn, and the locals will be dying for good young mechanics over the next decade as all these old farts keep retiring.



   
ReplyQuote
(@vatorgator)
Honorable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 432
 
funny guy, you will soon be an "old fart" that will be retiring. little respect please

Last edited by Vatorgator; 05/07/16 04:35 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
Originally Posted By: Vatorgator
funny guy, you will soon be an "old fart" that will be retiring. little respect please

Sorry, the elevator men I work around aren't known for their sensitivity. I'll tone down the rhetoric as to not offend anyone else.



   
ReplyQuote
(@gmc94)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 5
 
Anybody else on here interview for local 2 in Chicago? I interviewed about a month ago and feel like it went fairly well! Haven't heard anything since, although I know they had 1000 people apply so i'm sure it takes time...I was also curious about the economic outlook in the Chicagoland area, from what I hear they have a ton of upcoming construction which is great.



   
ReplyQuote
(@nick9437)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
So much work it's not even funny.

If you score top 100 you're in for sure.

Top 150 50% chance

The only thing I would be worried about is they took 200ish people off the last list. So companies have been filling their ranks like crazy. There's a 90 story going up on the river, and another supposed one in the S. Loop, so that would mean more hiring too.

Good luck. And the grass isn't always greener. I've been on 6-10s for months now in construction and it'll fucking wear you out. Money is good, but ZERO life.



   
ReplyQuote
(@gmc94)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 5
 
Wow that's great to hear!!! I have no problems at all with long hours, I work in the rail industry as a freight train conductor so I'm on call 6 days a week and work nights/days with one day off and regularly get 60 hours. I made sure to bring that up in the interview and the company guy from Kone seemed really impressed and liked that I could work whenever I was needed. I'm just waiting for the new list to come out now. I'll keep you guys updated with what I find out. Best of luck to everybody else trying out there!



   
ReplyQuote
(@titans)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 68
 
I'm getting sworn into the Union on Tuesday. Thank you Lord.



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
Congratulations Titans



   
ReplyQuote
(@titans)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 68
 
Thank you.



   
ReplyQuote
(@crowtrobot)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 16
 
Anyone else here going through the process for Local 21 in Arlington?

Interviewing tomorrow, nervous as hell.



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@e311)
Reputable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 363
 
Don't be nervous, you'll do fine. 21's a great local 🙂



   
ReplyQuote
(@crowtrobot)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 16
 
Thanks E311!



   
ReplyQuote
 Jun
(@jun)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 5
 
Welcome to the elevator business I am a local 84 man myself started in 1994 best decision I ever made the things you can do and education is endless you just need to want to achieve them don't ever be satisfied with a pay check learn all you can.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 28 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top