Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
81 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
That's awesome man, glad to hear yall are getting back to work. I'm excited and nervous for the time my call comes



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Anyone have any updates for Austin? I'd like to schedule a trip to visit my family in Illinois next month, but just not sure



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
I haven't yet..I should be number 1 or number 2 on the laid off list... Hopefully we will get called by January when things pick up...I would be careful taking a trip near that time.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Yeah, thats my concern. Just wish I had a better idea of if and when I would get called. Haven't seen the family in awhile, and if not now I'm assuming I'll probably have to wait atleast until my probationary period is over, which is either 6 or 12 months



   
ReplyQuote
(@txvet)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 107
 
Bansheeman so far that I have been able to tell if you have something scheduled the companies are pretty understanding about taking time off.



   
ReplyQuote
(@silly)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 215
 
Guys, there is absolutely no way for the union to know when a company will actually call for workers. The companies try, and usually fail, to juggle manpower. If you have 20 workers, and enough work for 24, do you hire 4 more guys, or stretch the work for the 20 solid guys you have, and keep the 20 busy longer?

Construction, by and large, drives the hire and layoff portion of our industry. It is a boom or bust industry at times, and has so many variables. Weather, money, permits, owners, planning, architects, etc etc etc. I personally have watched jobs that were ready to jump, sit in mothballs for years...

Sucks but the best advice I can give is, be patient, be flexible, and when your chance arrives, make the most of it. Go ahead and go on a family trip, just make sure the wife and family understands you may need to cut it short, on very little notice. Remember, we are not talking about a job choice here, this is a career that will give you what you put into it. Good luck, work safe.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Merry Christmas yall! Hopefully more of yall got your calls and are back at it, but not today!



   
ReplyQuote
 TKE
(@tke)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 13
 
Austin TKE is BOOMING with new construction, I'm sure the others are just as busy.



   
ReplyQuote
(@txvet)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 107
 
I heard TKE Austin just had another round of layoffs. That's just what I heard.



   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
Seeing as probys need to be laid off first (i.e. me), I'm sure you all will be the first to know of any further TKE layoffs.



   
ReplyQuote
(@nick9437)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 9
 
Any word on Chicago?



   
ReplyQuote
(@ckelly1182)
Active Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 5
 
I have an interview tomorrow afternoon in Orlando. Any advice or any information at all would be helpful



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Ok, just got off the phone with the local 133, and was told I am 2nd inline, and that there are 6 guys still laid off. He also said that a few companies called recently asking for the list, but have not acted on it yet. Hopefully that helps anyone else wondering!



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
I'm currently 2nd in line on the lay off list...last time I went in on Jan 1st to pay my dues Tim said for me to be ready for a call for TK or Schindler that week but it has not happened yet.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Good to hear for ya man. I'm kinda hoping I don't get called til April now, as im close enough at the current job for my next bonus then lol



   
ReplyQuote
Page 20 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top