Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
2 members from the JAC and two company guys will be interviewing. my hiring number was 28 so I didn't wow the guys but I must have said something right. Being open to learn, a emphasis on safety, and no problem with hard work.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Solution)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Interview went well. Results by mail in 1-2 weeks.

I'll of course give an update if I get call for work.

Hope this thread helps some prospective greenies with their process.

Thanks to those of you who helped me along, and if I'm fortunate I might actually be able to start asking on the job related questions soon.

EDIT: Oh, and they had about 8 people there grading for the interview process. This union obviously takes the apprentice process seriously which is good to know.

Last edited by Solution; 06/26/14 08:43 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@titans)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Military veteran here going for my IUEC local 93 apprenticeship interview on June 14 in Nashville. Any tips or suggestions welcome and appreciated. Thanks...



   
ReplyQuote
(@Solution)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Well I got my results back and I'm not quite sure what to make of them.

I scored a lot lower on my interview than I thought I would, putting me at rank 10 on their list.

This sort of concerns me because I think Austin is a much smaller local than most and I'm not even sure how many people they take in yearly for their Apprenticeship.

Does anyone know when the school year typically starts and what my odds might be of making it in for the upcoming NEIEP academic year?

I guess I'll give them a call and see if they can provide more info, I'm just eager and have no idea what to expect being ranked 10th.



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
So you are the tenth person off the list who will be hired when a company calls the hall looking for apprentices. And that isn't bad at all. Construction is picking up around Texas all over. So being 10th isn't a ranking its your spot in line to be hired. When you do get the call, be on time!!!!!. Most likely you'll have to go through some sort of safety training. Most percent of companies open at 7am. Remember you are on probation they don't need a reason to run you off cause they'll just get the next guy off the list. You a required to have a pencil and your temp work card paid up to date. Listen to your mechanic do what your told. If you are unsure of something ask to get it right the first time. Your job is to be that mechanic right hand man, you need to make the mechanic's job easier. good luck bud....You can always PM me if you have any other questions.

One more thing but you a small notebook to keep in your pocket, write things down, multiple tasks given, and anything else you to remember. Work on picking up the lingo, figuring out what everything is called is very important!!!

Last edited by sbrmilitia; 07/04/14 03:10 AM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@kiwinightstalker)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
yeah keep the notebook to write the lunch orders down... 😁



   
ReplyQuote
(@Solution)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Thanks Militia.

I think 10th will probably be good enough to get called out, my only concern is I don't want to get called after the start of the apprenticeships school year starts in a few months and have to wait another year to start it. The apprenticeship here is now 5 years long.

I'm just being super impatient about the entire thing, and just have no idea how to gauge my ranking in relation to a small local. I think Local 133 only has around 150 members, so 10th on the list may or may not be that good.

lol Kiwi, for the benefits this union provides I'd take lunch orders all day every day if it was asked of me.



   
ReplyQuote
 E311
(@E311)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Don't worry so much about your ranking-once you start working. Make a commitment to yourself to live and breathe elevators, once you do that, you will always have a job and a career.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Solution)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Hah, you guys seem to be pretty sure I'll get a call, which is all I'm honestly concerned about. I just wasn't sure if I should be worried or not because of how small the local is. Also, it sort of sucks not knowing how long I'll need to wait for them to make it that far down the list. I just have no idea which is what bothers me the most 🙂

happy 4th of July everyone.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Silly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
First not all called will respond, some may have moved on, 10th outta 10 may suck, but you were at the test...10 outta 100 is pretty good, chin up bud.

As for what to have and be, you have heard some great things from the membership. Once hired, I will give you a leg up. 10-1 screwdriver, channel locks, door pick, small screwdriver (tweeker), electrical tape, few bell caps, few do alls, notebook, pencil, pen, sharpie. Keep these things on you at ALL times. You want to be johnny on the spot for your mechanic, and believe me he is yours, as much as you are his. Keep your mouth shut, listen, learn, feel him out like you do a spouse. I have a rather fond saying of your new job description sir, make your mechanic look good. No matter the task, from sweeping, to wiring, to adding counter weights, showing up to work on time, you go out of your way to make him look like the best mechanic your local has, and you will work in this trade as long as you want to.

Good luck Solution.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Solution)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Appreciate the heads up Silly. That's some really solid advice.

Does anyone know how fast the list tends to move for a local Like Austin? I don't know if I should be expecting a call this month, or 6 months from now.



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Heads up as a apprentice you are not allowed to carry your own tools. A small pocket screwdriver is ok, a pencil, and tape measure. Any other tools needs to be provided by your mechanic. There are other members out in the field will report you and you can be brought up on charges for having your own tools.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Silly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
When I got in we were allowed to have the 10-1, channel locks, and tape measure. Only tool I needed from the mechanic was the tweeker. Better check down there before you carry them I guess solution.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Solution)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
They'll undoubtedly give me a list of what I need. But I'm a little disappointing I can't have my own tools without possibly getting reported.

Why is that exactly, It would make sense if the tools were being provided by the contractor but Militia made it sound like I just can't use tools other than from my mechanic.

Is this through the entire apprenticeship, or can you scale up your tools as you progress?



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: sbrmilitia
Heads up as a apprentice you are not allowed to carry your own tools. A small pocket screwdriver is ok, a pencil, and tape measure. Any other tools needs to be provided by your mechanic. There are other members out in the field will report you and you can be brought up on charges for having your own tools.

This is the dumbest thing I have heard! Why cant an apprentice have his own tools? As apprentices we were issued a full tool kit!! You don't have to have them on site at all times( and most of the time you may not need it) but at times you do need them.

The best advice I can give is, live the industry and be a sponge. Have a notebook and write everything down and ask questions(if you don't understand anything, ask particularly safety issues). Be attentive to the mechanic's needs ie quick to hand the pliers without the mechanic having to ask for them etc. Doing this tends to have mechanics trust you, and then they fight to get the best apprentices which is a feather in your cap. But the most important lesson you need to learn is fault finding. I was lucky I had mechanics put faults on for me, run snap question and answer sessions etc. The best thing I learnt was when attending a breakdown was, walk in the motor room, hands in the pockets and use the best organs to analyse the situation and determine what is wrong. And that's your EYES!!!! You can most of the time tick off 3/4's of possible causes by checking relays/indicators for safety ccts, locks, direction etc with this method. Learn this and you will be able to fix lifts pretty quickly(don't worry there is no race tho) and look good to your bosses. All the best mate

Last edited by uppo72; 07/05/14 01:50 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top