Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
 jkh
(@jkh)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Solution,

As an apprentice, the mechanic(s) working with and around you are responsible for what you do! As well as your well being and safety. This will become painfully obvious throughout your first year. But this lesson will be carried with your entire carrier!

Again let me say this because of its importance! "YOUR ENTIRE CARRIER"...

Everyone of the members who have participated on this forum have, are and continue to display their dedication to the advancement of this industry. And I for one feel honored to be apart of it.

You are given a preview into a unique circle by simply asking for help and advice. There is no doubt in my mind that you have the desire to be apart of it. My advice is to pay attention to the instructor & the mechanics when you are out in the field.
Be mindful of when it is appropriate to ask questions. And no matter how hard it may feel to connect with everyone you work with, find a way to do so.

Best wishes,



   
ReplyQuote
(@DripCan)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Beon time ready to work personal phone only for emergencys no texting surfing the web an you got fifty percent of job licked.The days of being silent of safety are gone speak up only about safety.An get ready to go threw boot camp again an called everything but by right name.Read your mechanic to find his mood swings when to talk an not.And last dont answer any questions boss or others want to know about whats going on let Mechanic answer all questions.Dont stand around grab a broom or mop keep things clean.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Silly)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
You wont be able to scale up your own personal tools. There is a set standard of the few you are personally allowed to own for a very good reason. Who would want to lose their job because some apprentice has money and brought in a 2000 dollar snap on kit to work, over someone with less money who has a tape, channies, and a screw driver. Believe me the companies love to push apprentices as far as they can, and it WOULD make a difference somewhere. This simple rule keeps the playing field even for all apprentices.

Dont worry solution, mechanics are required to have 2 of many of the common tools for this reason. Most mechanics have a helper bucket or tool bag setup already and if it lacks something you feel you need to perform your job better, ask about it. I dont know one single mechanic who wouldnt go get another tool, Crap we usually look for excuses to buy new stuff, lol.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Solution)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Hmm, I didn't think about that Silly, makes a lot of sense though.

I appreciate everyones advice and heads up, but really I'm still not even sure when/if I'll get called to work. There is no telling how long it will take for them to get to number 10 on the hire list in Austin. I think they've done a recruitment 3 years running now so it makes me think the list moves at a decent clip.

Can anyone touch on how consistent the work is. I know this is vastly different from region to region, but what should I expect as far as lay offs are concerned?

I'm trying to figure out why everyone is assuming I'll get a call though. I just can't get hyped yet until I find out some concrete info on where I stand with my ranking.

Last edited by Solution; 07/05/14 09:05 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@bomfire)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I wish you the best of luck Solution! First time poster here. I am in the same boat as you, I am below #40 (~175 on the hiring list) on our list in local 18 (Vegas, LA, San Diego) and am hoping for a call as well! Good luck!



   
ReplyQuote
(@Solution)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Good luck to you too buddy. Those all seem like they would be great cities to work in. Keep in touch and let us know if you get a call.

I might recommend sticking around these forums after you get hired. This thread alone should be proof that the guys on here are genuine and helpful. We could learn a lot from them.



   
ReplyQuote
(@sbrmilitia)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: uppo72
Originally Posted By: sbrmilitia
Heads up as a apprentice you are not allowed to carry your own tools. A small pocket screwdriver is ok, a pencil, and tape measure. Any other tools needs to be provided by your mechanic. There are other members out in the field will report you and you can be brought up on charges for having your own tools.

This is the dumbest thing I have heard! Why cant an apprentice have his own tools? As apprentices we were issued a full tool kit!! You don't have to have them on site at all times( and most of the time you may not need it) but at times you do need them.

The best advice I can give is, live the industry and be a sponge. Have a notebook and write everything down and ask questions(if you don't understand anything, ask particularly safety issues). Be attentive to the mechanic's needs ie quick to hand the pliers without the mechanic having to ask for them etc. Doing this tends to have mechanics trust you, and then they fight to get the best apprentices which is a feather in your cap. But the most important lesson you need to learn is fault finding. I was lucky I had mechanics put faults on for me, run snap question and answer sessions etc. The best thing I learnt was when attending a breakdown was, walk in the motor room, hands in the pockets and use the best organs to analyse the situation and determine what is wrong. And that's your EYES!!!! You can most of the time tick off 3/4's of possible causes by checking relays/indicators for safety ccts, locks, direction etc with this method. Learn this and you will be able to fix lifts pretty quickly(don't worry there is no race tho) and look good to your bosses. All the best mate

Unless you have a mechanics card in your pocket you aren't allowed to bring any of your own tools. A pencil and tape measure is the only exception to that. Period....no if ands or buts that is IEUC 101. That is for construction, Mod and Repair. As a fifty you wont see a maintenance job for a while.



   
ReplyQuote
(@uppo72)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Originally Posted By: sbrmilitia
Originally Posted By: uppo72
Originally Posted By: sbrmilitia
Heads up as a apprentice you are not allowed to carry your own tools. A small pocket screwdriver is ok, a pencil, and tape measure. Any other tools needs to be provided by your mechanic. There are other members out in the field will report you and you can be brought up on charges for having your own tools.

This is the dumbest thing I have heard! Why cant an apprentice have his own tools? As apprentices we were issued a full tool kit!! You don't have to have them on site at all times( and most of the time you may not need it) but at times you do need them.

The best advice I can give is, live the industry and be a sponge. Have a notebook and write everything down and ask questions(if you don't understand anything, ask particularly safety issues). Be attentive to the mechanic's needs ie quick to hand the pliers without the mechanic having to ask for them etc. Doing this tends to have mechanics trust you, and then they fight to get the best apprentices which is a feather in your cap. But the most important lesson you need to learn is fault finding. I was lucky I had mechanics put faults on for me, run snap question and answer sessions etc. The best thing I learnt was when attending a breakdown was, walk in the motor room, hands in the pockets and use the best organs to analyse the situation and determine what is wrong. And that's your EYES!!!! You can most of the time tick off 3/4's of possible causes by checking relays/indicators for safety ccts, locks, direction etc with this method. Learn this and you will be able to fix lifts pretty quickly(don't worry there is no race tho) and look good to your bosses. All the best mate

Unless you have a mechanics card in your pocket you aren't allowed to bring any of your own tools. A pencil and tape measure is the only exception to that. Period....no if ands or buts that is IEUC 101. That is for construction, Mod and Repair. As a fifty you wont see a maintenance job for a while.

Thanks for the reply mate. I understand different area's have different rules, but here there is a demarcation between electricians and fitters. We don't do mechanical work as that is the domain of the fitters( apart from minor works on service particularly for the big companies, smaller companies you do more). Because of this most of the time your first year you go into service to learn and understand the basics. You are given a tool kit, but most of the time you don't need it. As you progress into mods, construction, repairs ect you tend to use these tools. Anyway it seems to work here.



   
ReplyQuote
(@Solution)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
Topic starter  
Well I got in contact with the local and from what I can gather I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a call eventually. At worse it may come after the new year, but it's obviously impossible to tell. I'm currently 9th on the list, so it's just a waiting game. I probably wont start school until next year which is unfortunate. I'll almost be 30 years old by the time I graduate the apprenticeship (that is a scary thought)!

Anyone who stumbles across this thread is welcome to join the forum and PM me with questions they may have about going through the process. Thanks as always everyone, I'll stop spamming this forum with my soon to be proby nonsense.



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Solution... I believe we were in the same hiring group. I took the test on June 10th and the interview on the 26th here in Austin...I just got the results back on July 3rd..I rank 12th on the list..It has been so difficult to find ANY info about the elevator trade here in Austin.I am curious as to what the journeyman wage is right now for mechanics here in Austin. Let me know when you get a call back because I will (hopefully) get a call soon afterward.I Will pm you so we can keep each other updated.



   
ReplyQuote
(@JohnnyTX)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Solution,

I'm in the same group. How did you move from 10th to 9th on the list? I'm just curious because my letter stated that I was 7th. I'm wondering if the change is because 1st already received an offer, which would now make me 6th. For me, it's pretty irrelevant in regards to the big picture though. Eventually I'll get an offer, but the anticipation is pretty wild.



   
ReplyQuote
(@titans)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Did you guys wear a suit or just khakis and a tie? I'm asking because I have an interview in Nashville on Monday. I'm so nervous. Sure wish I had more info on the interview process.



   
ReplyQuote
(@JohnnyTX)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
Shirt and tie for me



   
ReplyQuote
(@titans)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I'm interviewing in Nashville on Monday so I've just google davidson county tn prevailing wage of elevator mechanic.



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Joined: 1 second ago
Posts: 0
 
I dressed in really nice slacks and a collared shirt. I don't know how anyone else dressed because I only saw one other guy and his interview was right after mine.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top