Elevator Forum

Apprenticeship advi...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX

650 Posts
81 Users
0 Reactions
4.6 M Views
(@mtuccio)
New Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 2
 
I got hired with local 74 tampa, thanks, I love it so far. Went to first union meeting tuesday.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Hey guys, I'm Cody. I just interviewed 11/20, And am hopeful to hear back! I haven't gotten my call uet, so I don't k kw what my number is. But it seems that the hiring has been steady, which is good! I have no union experience, though i come from a union family. My background is mainly military and tireshop/supervisory with a good bit of mechanical as well. I will update as soon as I get a call, and does anyone else have any updates or do any new hires have any advice? Thank you!



   
ReplyQuote
(@jrr1982)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 19
 
Hey Cody, What local did you interview for? My interview was 11/19



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Oops, sorry. I didn't list as I figured the thread was for Austin. It's for the local 133 in Austin, Texas



   
ReplyQuote
(@txvet)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 107
 
That's weird if they just did another round of hiring, they still have a bunch of guys on the bench.



   
ReplyQuote
(@jrr1982)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 19
 
must be really busy in Texas, Minnesota runs through the process every 2 years



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
TxVet, the only applicants I know they processed were through helmetstohardhats.com. they did not do any civie or posted hiring and I was told they had enough through that program to not need to do any more recruiting for a good while. After I get my number, if it's far enough out I may take a AGR job down in Victoria until I am called

Last edited by Bansheeman6100; 11/23/14 10:38 PM.


   
ReplyQuote
(@txvet)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 107
 
That makes sense. I was hired through helmets to hardhats too. Let us know where u are on the list.



   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
Hey Banshee, good luck man and I'm sure you'll get hired on in the first half of 2015.

Let us know where you rank when you find out.

I'm happy I squeezed in before you guys interviewed because I bet you guys with a military background average a higher rank, and anyone still on the list from the recruitment done prior might get leap froged by some of you guys.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Originally Posted By: Solution
Hey Banshee, good luck man and I'm sure you'll get hired on in the first half of 2015.

Let us know where you rank when you find out.

I'm happy I squeezed in before you guys interviewed because I bet you guys with a military background average a higher rank, and anyone still on the list from the recruitment done prior might get leap froged by some of you guys.

Thanks solution! Good to hear, I will be taking a bit of a pay cut for awhile but I am sure it is more than worth it. It's a field I'm looking forward to very much. And looks like I picked the perfect time to get in. A close friend of mine was in the local for 40 years, and referred me to apply. I called the local and told me the earliest I could apply was sometime after the first of the year when they were going to do their next recruiting. Then I found the H2H site and allied anyways, then got an email back a few weeks later. And while in the office, I overheard they aren't going to be doing a recruiting drive anytime soon due to the H2H response, glad I found the site!



   
ReplyQuote
(@solution)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 86
Topic starter  
Any news on your ranking yet Banshee?

Don't be so sure about taking a pay cut either. I'm working in north Austin (20 minute drive, off parmer lane) and am making an additional 140 in zone pay a week. If you end up on a job requiring OT the double time adds up real quick as you can imagine.

There were a few lay offs so you may not get called in December (but there's no way for anyone to really know), but someone in this thread mentioned to me a lot of crews will be getting picked up in January.

Also, to the guys who frequented this thread before we all got hired on, I'm available to go the next union meeting if anyone wants to tag along. I'd like it if we kept in touch simply because the information /contacts will come in handy down the road.



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
I have not received my call yet, but was contemplating calling the local this week and seeing if I could get any idea. Also, how does getting laid off work? Never had that issue, nor worked for a union before



   
ReplyQuote
(@bansheeman6100)
Eminent Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 37
 
Spoke to the local 133 this morning and was told that I was 2nd down the list, after the 5 laid off guys get back to work. He said he didn't have the solid position I was as the H2H guys were on a different list that he didn't have handy. But, he did remember me so that's mkre good news



   
ReplyQuote
(@txvet)
Estimable Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 107
 
Yeah man we (the laid off guys ) are hearing we will go back after January so it'll be sometime after that . I hope we all move



   
ReplyQuote
(@skilledbutcher73)
Trusted Member
Joined: 17 years ago
Posts: 97
 
That's a good ranking banshee.I am one of the laid off guy as well and talked to the hall yesterday. It seems like things always slow way down in December.



   
ReplyQuote
Page 17 / 44
Share:
Scroll to Top