Notifications
Clear all
31/07/2014 8:50 am
Dang that's pretty good if we all made that. I wonder how many passed the interview
Topic starter
31/07/2014 8:52 am
I'm surprised that there wasn't more people who pursued this. 55 really Isn't that much.
This is a good time to be trying to get into this local I think. In 10 years I bet they have hundreds more applying than what we saw, it wont be any easier to get into as time goes on. When the college bubble bursts, people will likely turn back to trades. No one is predicting Austins growth to slow down either.
I might just be being optimistic though.
31/07/2014 9:51 am
Haha ya.. It will turn into the Austin fire Dept way hiring..I applied 2 years ago for it..3000 ppl applied and took the interview and they only accept 150! Ppl a year..extremely difficult to get into.
31/07/2014 10:34 am
All of the "baby boomers" are retiring and that's gonna be a lot of knowledge and experience no longer available.
31/07/2014 11:07 pm
So guys I called the union today all they said was hang tight lol. I could not get my ranking or anything, so if anyone else wants to try go for it.
Last edited by TxVet; 07/31/14 03:17 PM.
31/07/2014 11:27 pm
Well at least they didn't say they were putting a hold on hiring or anything.that's good news.
31/07/2014 11:59 pm
Yep I need to keep looking at the bright side haha
Topic starter
01/08/2014 3:34 am
Thanks for calling and updating Vet.
01/08/2014 3:43 am
Yep, we are all waiting for that college bubble, hopefully Yall can get in before that happens. Most of the boomers are retiring in the next 5 years, lots of knowledge going bye bye.
Topic starter
03/08/2014 11:55 am
Hey E311, or any of you guys who are veterans of the industry, can you maybe elaborate on your experience in the trade so far?
All the guys who have contributed in this thread are obviously super excited to have an opportunity to work through the IUEC, but it's pretty hard to find any inside information from guys who have been in the trade a while.
I'd be curious to know what direction you guys think this uiion/trade/industry is headed in. What would you guys caution the next generation of mechanics about?
04/08/2014 8:40 pm
This is the only job I've known, during the summer, I would carry my Dad's tool bag on late night calls. I got in at the innocent age of 16, in the short 28 years I have been in, its changed a lot. The industry has and is changing constantly and not always for the better, the industry is what you make of it, have a positive attitude as much as possible, even though that's not always possible. Learn from every person you work with (good lessons and bad lessons), always look for ways to improve your knowledge base, never stop learning.
05/08/2014 1:43 am
Hey guys, I got some news! We are all one more spot closer too being sent out to work, I am number 1 now so I will keep everyone updated.
Last edited by TxVet; 08/04/14 05:43 PM.
05/08/2014 1:58 am
Awesome man did they call u to tell u were number 1 ?
05/08/2014 2:02 am
No. The beginning of last week I emailed Curtis and he got back to me today.
05/08/2014 2:04 am
Haha sweet ...I would be excited ass hell if I were u lol