Condolences go out to the surviving family members.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/us/25bcelevator.html?_r=1
Respectfully Submitted,
Robert L Krieger Jr.
I myself personally would not take the risk of jumping out of an elevator when the platform is 4' above the landing because I know better.
When you are standing on a platform 4' above the floor, it really does not look like its that far to jump or scoot out on your belly. I think it is a matter of perception on the part of people stuck in the car.
With the stop switch in the off position, no power on the doors, the code book states it shall be openable with less than 75ft lbs of force. (Assuming floor level)
What we can all do is to get the word out through places like www.eesf.org
The city of Los Angeles requires signage about what to do if you are stuck in an elevator.
I will be up on Market Street tomorrow morning for an appointment. My flight leaves in the evening. I hope Halfpick, we can get meet for coffee before my flight leaves.
Respectfully Submitted,
Robert L Krieger Jr.
I'll be down the pennisula all day. Are you teaching the PACE class on April 16th. in South San Francisco by chance?
Agreed! I cannot stand Adams Hatch Latches.
CJ Anderson also has an electronic door restrictor. Pretty decent video can be found showing how it works.
Respectfully Submitted,
Robert L Krieger Jr.
Ask the person telling you that to show you where it is stated in the code book. Sometimes because of our believing nature we accept myth as reality. I have been fooled by others too often so I now respectfully ask them to show me in the code book.
Respectfully Submitted,
Robert L Krieger JR.
You have stated the case for door restrictors succinctly. If anyone has any questions as to why they are important simply talk to the AHJ who has investigated such a fatality. The AHJ's are frequently prevented by duty from making public comments, however buy the inspector a cup of joe and ask them what they think of the importance of door restrictors. It will make you a supporter of the devices.
Yes, all moving equipment needs service, adjustment and maintenance. I predict that within the next several years of lack of maintenance, it will take its toll on our infrastructure and economy.
It is up to the Mechanics to hold the line on safety and protect the public.
The people who tell the building owner what the building owner wants to hear as opposed to reality, is a person practicing quackery or some similar confidence trick in order to obtain money, fame or other advantages via some form of pretense or deception. Yes, I have found myself employed by such people and when I found out, I also found out they did not have the money to pay me. Go Figure.
Respectfully Submitted,
Robert L Krieger Jr.